Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workplace Scenario 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerjunx

Electrical
Sep 13, 2002
CI

My colleague confided me for his undertakings, i dont want him to offer with empty handed comfort and opinion. That's why i would like to brought this out in here for your further views.
He's about to be a shift supervisor on O&M department. But he wonders how would he react to his subordinates if he discover the fact that they are sleeping at work? He's a little bit hesistant to his reaction when he found it whether to be rude, else he thinks, subordinates would take advantage his kindness, if he does.

Anyone, had experience such sleeping - a workplace scenario?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Back in highschool chemistry class, my teachear had a jug of ammonia set aside for this exact reason. When he spotted someone dozing off, he'd walk over, uncap the jug, and set it in their general area. After a few seconds, they'd usually wake with a jump after a few breaths of fumes.

It probably wouldn't be a great policy for a work environment, but it was enough to amuse a room of 16 year old kids.

Today's schools, the teacher would be fired and probably jailed for giving a student a controlled substance! Then sued by the student's parents!

Chris
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

my high school math teacher, who was actually pretty at lecturing, would often try to make a swish with a piece of chalk when someone would fall asleep and leave their mouth wide open. The closest he ever got was hitting the sleeper's nose with the chalk.

TTFN

As an engineer, I once walked through the plant at 0400 and found the lead technician crashed out on a crate, shoes off and with a pillow and blanket. I walked through again a few minutes later and he stirred and noticed me walk by. We made eye contact and I kept going. I told nobody because it wasn't really my role and in truth, there wasn't much for him to do at that point and sleeping wasn't so bad.

A few months later, we were running 24x7 hot and heavy and I was appointed interim production supervisor. That same tech proved very reliable for me and went out of his way to help me. I figured it was because I didn't burn him when I could have.

Tell your friend to talk to the guy off the record at first and then escalate enforcement as needed.

If the guy comes in with a diagnosed case of narcolepsy, though, they're screwed.

--------------------
How much do YOU owe?
--------------------

"Today's schools, the teacher would be fired and probably jailed for giving a student a controlled substance! Then sued by the student's parents!"

Perhaps. Though I'd like to think schools haven't changed that much in the last 8 years (since I'm only 24). Although, said teacher would have probably gotten reprimanded for it if someone took it the administration.

When I was at school, teachers were often deadly accurate with bits of chalk and, in extremis, with the board rubber.
Outlandish behaviour could be certain to result in judicious use of the cane, or in the case of the chemistry teacher, a wooden retort stand. Weapon of choice for the PE teacher was a plymsol (tennis shoe).
Then again, in my day there wer no security scanners or body seraches and you didn't have to pack your lunch in a see through bag. The incidence of serious bodily harm to anyone by anyone was nil.

Sadly, not so long ago when the unions were very strong, it was expected that every worker was entitled to so much overtime each week whther there was wrok available or not and when there was work available the work rate was strictly controlled. In those days it was not uncommon for the entire night shift to be asleep and no one expected any different.
Some workers resented this but thyere was little they could do except what was expected of them by their colleagues and the unions.

I think the occassional lapses of employees should be ovelooked unless there is a clear work and safety issue. Repetitive behaviour is something else.

Much more serious is when employees choose to die at work.

JMW

Dying at work should definitely be grounds for immediate dismissal.

I once had the case that I was trying to get hold of someone at another company and couldn’t get a response. I got a message the next day that they had fallen ill at work been taken to hospital and died! Didn’t seem so funny at the time.

So is sleeping on the job endemic at your place billybry?

After you have found out that there are no physical, emotional, or outside forces causing the peron to sleep on the job and that it isn't because he's working more hours than allowed, the employee must be confronted.

We use the Have a BEER method.
Behavior - talk only about sleeping in just 1 sentance.
Effects of that behavior or why its bad to sleep on the job
Expectations what is the expectation, even rules
Results what will happen if they continue to sleep and what will happen if they stop it.

The first sesion is on their turf and time table, the second warning is on your turf and time and it should be written too.

In 9th grade I had math teacher that upon your dosing would grab you by your necktie and raise you bodily out of your desk at which time you were aroused enough to find yourself flung out the door. Normally your feet barely touched the floor between desk and door and a really nice sticker bush awaited your landing. It was pretty funny really.

I think this discussion needs more context. I will admit I have taken a nap while at work. The context of the nap is important though. We have a plant that is miles from the nearest accommodations it takes about 45 Min's to get to the hotel. while working on the back shift (I had already worked on the front) I took a nap. I knew that I wouldn't be needed for a few hours and if I was because of an unforeseen circumstances I gave orders to be awakened immediately. I don't see anything wrong with this and know my supervisor doesn't either. However if sleeping on the job is an everyday occurrence someone needs to address the problem.

The difference is we are taking about work ethic, professionals get paid to work whatever it takes to get the job done. Some people put in time and get paid and they don't see that getting paid to sleep isn't right.

Sleeping on the job problem will be resolved if you eliminate all the cubicle partitions and the boss has a direct view of the staff from his office (in the context of A/E design firm).

I suppose many bosses won't like this setup because they sometimes want to nap too.

I dozed off once in an engineering lecture (my fault not the professor, it was a good class I was working nights while going to school). The professor woke me up by demonstrating elastic potential being transformed into kinetic energy.... by firing a rubber band at my head.

I never once thought to sue...

Well, whyun. That's good point. I tried that action as yours, we'd replace the concrete partition with a clear transparent glass across our workshop and disable all door knob (not to lock) to discourage sleeping.. it really works.
Our manager would pass along the hallway without getting entered to the workshop to catch up such dilema, and remarkably he appreciates the outcome.

I guess this depends on your engineering job -

Sleeping at work I cant tolerate - sorry. There may be good reason for it but there is no excuse for it. In saying that Id not sack the individual but Id talk to them and ensure that I understood the reason. Id also let them know that it wasnt toleratable. Next time there would be something done about it and the appropriate actions carried out.

can you imagine the driver of an 18 wheeler sleeping on the job, or a nurse on intensive care monitoring duties ?
No neither could I, and I think that to do something like that or allow this to happen just serves to cheapen engineering as a profession.

Rugged

whyun,
I worked at a place like that once. Very stressful having the boss watch every breath I take. At my review he said "You spent 3 minutes in the bathroom!". I said "You spent 15 minutes BSing with the secretary!" Then I quit.
It was an engineering job.
When I see someone sleeping on the job, it depends if it annoys me or not. If it's a young employee, parties a lot, comes in late and leaves early, no excuse. If he/she is older, there could be various reasons why the sleeping. Then I leave it alone.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 5.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

During my early engineering career I was working full time and going to grad school at night. On one occasion I was doing some research in the company library, and I must have fallen asleep. The library mgr woke me up with a dropped book on my table. It was embarrassing, but I didn't hear about it later.

Hey Man,
Well he is getting paid to be a manager. They feel they can trust him. One thing is very important, if his subordinates are sleeping on the job, then the job is not at its full potential. He should give them a warning something like this,

Hey guys I know sometimes this job gets boring but I can not allow you all to sleep on the job. If this happens again I will be forced to write you up. If you feel like your falling to sleep please let me know maybe I can give you a 10 min brake but I can not have you all sleeping on the job. Please consider this your first warning. This a nice but nasty way of getting your point across.

Ps
Job first feelings later

Let's see. Someone has toothache (or rheumatism) all night and doesn't get much sleep. You'd write them up for dozing off after lunch while working in a stuffy office on a PC? Tough crowd...

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back