Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

World's Largest Power Transformer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutimuti

Electrical
Jul 2, 2006
NA
Can anyone tell me what is the MVA of the world's largest transformer, how many tons with oil and who makes it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are any link to pictures of this monster?

------------------------
It may be like this in theory and practice, but in real life it is completely different.
The favourite sentence of my army sergeant

Areva have built singles up to 1100MVA and banked three phase groups to 1650MVA. I'm struggling to find any photos though!

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Hyundai website said:
Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) established production facility for world’s largest transformer with a 15,000 MVA capacity. The facility has the world’s largest production capacity with 60,000MVA in a single plant, which is similar to the total amount of Korean power plant’s capacity of 65,000MVA.

No it doesn't. Read it carefully.

Regardless of what the website says I don't really think a 15 GVA transformer is likely to exist, but I do wonder if the translation has gone askew or if an extra '0' was inadvertently added. If it really did exist and was built using conventional technology it would have a throughput of roughly one quarter of the UK's generation capacity, be the size of an apartment block and weigh many thousands of tonnes. At 400kV the line currents would be over 20kA.

It does explain where all the copper and silicon steel has been going though. [wink]

image.php

Hi BJC,

Our 400MVA GSU transfomers weigh in at around 300 tonnes filled: I think your estimate is a little on the light side, even if it was an autotransformer.

Do you do translation work for Hyundai? [tongue]

image.php

When we talk of largest transformer in the world,MVA alone will not give the size.In case of auto-transformers used for interconnecting two grids,equivalent two winding MVa rating will be much low ie it will be much lighter than a two winding trf of same MVA.When the size of unit goes too big to handle,engineers plan for three single phase units to form a three phase bank.But from electrical angle (current to handle and leakage flux to manage)size is decided by the three phase bank rating.
A three phase bank will be 30-40% costlier than a three phase transformer.But due to strategic reasons and transportation limitations,many times three phase bank is preferred.Largest rail wagon available today for transporting the heaviest transformer package is about 500 tonnes and in other cases transport is done through water paths or special road trailers

Largest three phase units made so far is 1630 MVA 400 kv phase shifting transformer made by ABB,Germany in 2003 for Italy( weight 820 tonnes,losses 2.6MW)and 1400 MVA (ABB ) made in 2004 for Belgium.( weight 1300 Tonnes,LBH 36*18*5 metres ) Probably the largest 3 phase unit size will be around 2000 MVA required for 1600-1800 MW nuclear power units being planned in some countries.

When 3 phase banks are considered,largest units made so far are 3000MVA 1050 KV Auto made by Japanese manufatueres in 90's, 2250 MVA 765 kV made by ABB Canada for AEP USA (2003), 3600 MVA 735 kV made by ABB ,Canada and 1980 MVA 500kV HV DC converter transformers made by ABB,Sweden for Sylmar( Pacific Intertie-Weight of single phase unit 550 Tonnes,weight of heaviest package 355 Tonnes)Maximum bank size required in near future may be 4000 MVA Auto required for interconnection of very large grids.

Weight of transformers vary approximately to the power of 0.75 ie if the weight of a 100 MVA unit is W tonnes,then weight of 200 MVA will be 1.7 W tonnes.So it can be seen how impossible to make a 15 000MVA unit from technical and logistical angles.From strategic considerations also no one will plan for such a size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back