Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Worth it to go to 2008? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvanhiel

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2001
US
I'm currently working in 2007.

I loaded 2008 because I needed to look at a supplied file that was a latest rev. I was pretty disgusted with all the needless tweaking of the interface, but that was just a first impression from 10 minutes of using it.

We've got only one client whose engineering group has gone to '08, and even they are considering going back to '07 due to numerous bugs. I don't know any other users of '08. The situation reminds me of PTC's half-assed release of Wildfire and it's widespread non-adoption by it's customers. Most never even loaded it and didn't upgrade until WFII (or WFIII!) was available.

So the question is.... is it really that bad? Can I sit this one out and wait for '09?

-b

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"is it really that bad" ... no. Once you get past the knee jerk shock reaction and actually start using it, you will likely find it more productive.

Pay special attention to the 'S' shortcut key and customise it to your needs. It will become your most used tool. Many people have switched entirely to an 'S' shortcut and keyboard shortcut combination, and hardly use the Command Manager at all.

"Can I sit this one out and wait for '09?" ... Sure, if you want to, but why not get up to speed now.

[cheers]

Every version someone thinks it is full of bugs. There are bugs if you don't install, setup, or have the correct HW. I admit SW is sensitive and picky during installs, but if directions are followed, it will run very good.
I have seen plenty of Autodesk users think they can install SolidWorks like any other application, then they screen it's a POS and want ACAD back!
Do your upgrades and installs correctly, you will love v2008.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated Apr 30, 2008)

I'm normally a new adopter of fresh versions because of the features I'd like to use. This is the longest I've ever gone in not installing a new version (have it right here--haven't yet used it). I have some clients who aren't yet up to 2008, too, so that's not helping. But I've not seen as compelling a list of features I want to try out in this version--plus the negative attention 2008 has had surprises me a bit. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll simply skip it all the way--but that bugs me. Why pay my VAR if I use neither the support or the new version? Perhaps I won't next time...

Jeff Mowry
What did you dream? It's all right--we told you what to dream.
--Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine

In the past I have said that skipping a version is not a big deal, but in this case the changes in SW08 were quite substantial. I don't know what changes are planned for SW09, but I think it will be easier to learn the new stuff in two separate steps.

[cheers]

From my experience SW2008 is the most stable release so far. I started using it at SP2.0 and it was at the time quite bugless. Just a few annoying things which were fixed in SP3.0 and, as I heard, the soon to be out SP4.0. The new GUI, I love it.

I have been using '08 since it was first released, and I haven't found it to be any worse than any of the previous releases. The major change is the UI. It may take some time to get used to, and it's not going to go away. So I figure you might as well jump in with both feet, right? There are may firms that stay one version back for production while they get used to the newest version and wait for it to stabilize.

The big issue is that if your clients are using it, you want to seem a little more knowledgeable than they are about the software, or else they might get the idea that they can do it all themselves. And that would be a bad thing...

Dan

corblimey: I can learn it, but my question really is this: is my client's potential downgrading unique, or are more people than usual holding off installation of '08? I won't waste my time with learning it if none of my clients are going to make the move. I spent a week and lots of $$$ training on WFI. That week was wasted, and I don't want to repeat it.

ctopher: I can do the installs correctly, but if most of my clients cannot, then they'll be switching back to '07 and so will I.

theophilus: You're probably in the same situation as me. The fact that you haven't installed it yet confirms my suspicions a bit.

dogarila: glad someone out there likes it!

The choice to ultimately use it or not is not mine. I will upgrade when a customer needs it, but I'm usually excited to get a head start. This is just a case where I wonder if any of our customers will ever stick with it.

-b

SW '08 is fine. If anything, it's been more stable than any other release, and I've been using SolidWorks since '98-ish. It amazes me how such a small segment of users can have such an effect on the overall perception of each release. I guarantee that there are a lot more satisfied users than there are dissatisfied users. And, I might add, it's been my experience that those with "bad" experiences are to blame for said "bad" experience, and not SolidWorks.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 3500M

"is my client's potential downgrading unique, or are more people than usual holding off installation of '08?"
I don't have any hard facts, but no it is not unique; but neither is it widespread. Judging from this forum and the SolidWorks forum, more and more people are adopting SW08.
I don't know your situation, but if the majority of your clients are not upgrading, then you have little choice but to stay with whatever they are using. If I were you though, I would get a head start with learning the new UI, even if you don't use it for production. Let your clients know that you are fluent with it and they may even hire you to show them how to implement and use the newer versions.

The level of bad press SW08 received, IMO, is/was not justified, but it had the desired effect. An SP re-introduced a lot of the customisation which had been removed or was simply not offered for new functions.

As with all upgrades, you need to do extensive testing before adopting it into a production environment.

I agree with Jeff, many of the problems users experience are self induced by incorrect installation procedure, using the wrong video card and driver, and general misuse/abuse of the program.

Having said that, one of the biggest problems with the SW08 release is its incompatibility with the Intellipoint mouse software.

[cheers]

A lot of users out there do upgrades without doing a "clean" install. Many don't uninstall at all, they just upgrade their existing version. By not doing a clean install, legacy data gets left behind that can produce strange behavior in the newest program. One of the reasons that you can't open an '08 file in '07 is because of the changes made in the code. Said changes can, potentially, get messed up by scraps left behind. But, most people aren't aware of this and simply blame the software without doing their due diligence. Often, when they call tech support and are told to do a clean install, they become indignant. Funny how many end up having to eat crow...

Ok, done with my rant.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 3500M

croweatingmdwhtvt2.gif

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated Apr 30, 2008)

Those are all good points. Frankly, I hear whining for every release that's ever been issued while in its newest use--so this is nothing new. My primary reasons for not upgrading comes down to the lack of features I've been expecting/wanting, my personal lack of time for dealing with a new UI right now, and the widespread client lag I'm seeing. But it drives me nuts not to get a head-start with the new stuff in this release--I much prefer to be ahead of the curve.

Jeff Mowry
What did you dream? It's all right--we told you what to dream.
--Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine

Jeff,

And I am addressing both of you... I agree. Most releases with a big change in UI result in much gnashing of teeth.

I've heard much gnashing, and I've decided to wait. I don't need to look like an '08 guru to impress my clients, so there's little incentive to go out of my way to learn it. I will, however, keep my support fees up to date for when that time arrives.

-b

I finally finished a large project in 2007 because I was afraid of the new UI. We upgraded to Office 2007 several months ago and had to learn the new UI, after a few difficult moments I love it. My first day with 2008 was today and had to call tech support twice for help but found it similar to the 2007 Office learning curve. Not all the Copy Settings appear so you must fix some of the settings manually. Our biggest reason to update was for Cosmos Pro features.

Ed Danzer

I like 08 since the spline and surfacing is much better.
Not one crash or hickup for me and Vista64bit, not ONE problem. I think the best thing I did is asked my dealer what they suggested for the computer. M6300 Dell and a 380 Dell. I think SW is very touchy on hardware and how clean your install is of both the program and the OS
I use SW at least 4 hours a day on production, using it for over 10 years. IMO this version is pretty damm stable

Anyone else notice how much slower 2008 runs than 2007?

Window switching doesn't work - opens a random file instead. You can get around it with the new tab at the bottom, but I find it a pain.

Pack and go doesn't uncheck files when you ask it to in the column heading the way 2007 did. I am not sure if it even picks up the drawings.

Can't beleive they haven't fixed basic bugs like this in 8 months or however long its been out.

I am thinking seriously of going back to 2007 - which will create all sorts of other problems.

John

jefrado,
If you are using the Intellipoint mouse software ... stop. Remove it from your system and replace it with a Logitech version. This alone eliminated several problems I was having with SW08-SP3.0 ... including SW slowness.

SP4 (due out in a few weeks) is slated to correct the random file problem. Windows XP-SP3 apparently also corrects the problem.

[cheers]

CorBlimeyLimey,
Pay special attention to the 'S' shortcut key and customise it to your needs.
A star for you. I never realized I could customise the 'S' shortcut key

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2008 x64, SP3.0
PDMWorks Workgroup, SolidWorks BOM,
Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB,
nVidia Quadro FX 3400
Use SolidWorks BOM
e-mail is Lotus Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back