Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Would CSA B51 cover a 1/4" air solenoid valve????? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydguy100

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2011
CA
Hi everyone, I have a question, Would CSA B51 cover a 1/4" air solenoid valve operating at 120psi??? Are these type of valves required to be registered for a CRN?

I have a customer at a power plant that is jumping up and down saying that all of his valves now require a CRN or registation under ABSA. And that all pneumatic components have to have CRN's now, I told him that will pretty much shut down pneumatic sales in the country because very few components used at shop air have CRN's.
Please help.

Thanks,

Hydguy.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In a word, the answer is almost certainly no.

Most of the provincial Acts that enable CSA B51 (i.e. give it the power of regulation) give specific exemption for compressed air components/systems below 3/4" attached by means other than welding. Your 1/4" solenoid valve would therefore be exempt. But you'd need to read the Alberta Boilers and Pressure Vessels Act and its associated regulation to be sure.

May I recommend calling ABSA and having them confirm for you? Googling ABSA brought up contact information.

While I certainly agree with both moltenmetal and regrumble, your customer would probably be more satisfied with "I spoke to ABSA and their representative -- name inserted here -- told me that components below 3/4" were not covered. Here's ABSA's number if you want to check ..." then with "these anonymous people on this website told me that it was ok. I don't know who they are, or what their backgrounds are, but I read it on the Internet, so it must be fine."

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Thanks Everyone, I did call ABSA yesterday and received almost the same answer, they said that in Alberta its everything under DIN50 or 2". Thanks for the help folks.

Yes, but again, calling ABSA is the best way to get a definitive answer that you can quote.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back