Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

WPS/PQR & Filler Wire Selection

Dec 13, 2018
PK
Item: Header Cooler

Construction Code: ASME Sec VIII Div-1 & API 661

Background:

Tube sheet cladded with SS316L (3mmm Min.)and Top/Bottom plate (SA-516 Gr.70N) has to be welded with tube sheet. Header require to be PWHT as per API 661 requirement. See attached Sketch for Joint Detail.

Scenerio-1:

Qualify P1 to P1 WPS/PQR with using root and hot pass with ER309L and rest passes with ER-70S3 & E-7018 H4R to complete the joint and then proceed with PWHT.

Scenerio-2:

Qualify PQR P1 to P1 with ER309LMo filler wire start from Root to Final Capping pass and proceed with PWHT.

Scenerio-3:

Qualify PQR with Butterd layer on Carbon steel proceed with PWHT and after that complete the joint with ER316L.

Please share me your technical thoughts in case to use filler wire combination in actual.

Fahad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Scenario 1. Poor choice. The carbon steel filler will produce a crack sensitive deposit though dilution with stainless steel.
Scenario 2. Poor choice because of the differential in expansion/contraction of 309 vs carbon steel. Also potential for stress corrosion cracking or knife edge corrosion in unknown environment.
Scenario 3. Poor choice due to potential of SCC or knife edge corrosion in unknown envivironment but expected to be corrosive.
I assume that the scenarios are to be used in actual production. Why not just use a P1 to P1 procedure using A1 filler and an additional weld overlay procedure using 309MoL ove P1 material?

Dear Sirs,

I have a question regarding to one ASME PQR. The PQR carbon steel A106 Gr. B with GTAW (3,0mm)/SMAW(5,7mm), the range of qualified thickness for GTAW 1,5 - 6,0 mm and the range of qualified thickness 1,5 - 11,4mm. The PQR have impact test at -20 ºC with 10*10*55 mm specimen.

I want to perform one addendum to the PQR and test only the GTAW at - 46,0º, with the same PQR variables ( electric, position, filler metal, same base material etc...) for this, I want to do one Mockup applying the reduce thickness procedure according ASME B31.3 table 323.3.3 at - 68,2º with specimen 2.5x10x55 mm, because my mockup have a thickness 3,91mm. can i do this addendum ? or it is mandatory to apply the same dimensions of the first specimen ( 10*10*55)?

@weld Stan,

I corrected Senerio-3, which is If I used buttered PQR, Buttering with ER309LmMo 5mm and proceed with PWHT. After PWHT complete joint with E316L.

2nd, Use ERNiCrMo-3.
Please share me your technical advise.

@Augusto_Jofre

For weld deposit "t" as per QW-451.1.

For Supplementary requirements PQR, You can Weld Test coupon, note actual parameter variables and qualify PQR. and attached with PQR with original PQR to satisfy your job requirements.

Fahad

Back