Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong (?) moment of inertia equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyforever85

Jun 22, 2010
US
Hi all,
this is a very simple question because either I'm wrong of the book I'm using is.

The formula reported in this book for a moment of inertia of a rectangle with length=a (in) and height= c (in) is and weight=W (lbs) is:

I=[W x (a^2 + c^2)] / (12 x 386.4) my problem is the 12. It should represents in/ft but feet don't appear in this formula so why would I need that coefficient?

Let me know your thoughts. I can take a pic of the book as well.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

bd^3/12 is I for a rectangle.

your equation is in inches, because 386.4 is "g" in in/sec^2

what sort of moment of inertia are you calculating ? is "length" = "width" ? (so that the cross section is b*c ??)

is "W" the weight of the beam, or the weight per linear foot ??

show us the source please.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Do not confuse area moment with mass moment of inertia. The OP question is about mass moment of inertia.
The mass will be in imperial units. W/g = W/386.4. 386.4 = 12in/ft x 32.2ft/s^2
Ted

so, from Engineer's toolbox …

Rectangular Plane
Moments of Inertia for a rectangular plane with axis through center can be expressed as
I = 1/12 m (a^2 + b^2) (5)
where a, b = short and long sides
and m = mass = W/g.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

rb1957 you got it! I was stuck with the idea that the general second moment of inertia was mass x length^2 so I assumed wrongly 12 was a conversion factor.

sorry about the confusion!

Hello,

Hydtools - you are correct. After I posted it, I said oops, mass moment of inertia. Sorry for the confusion. I'll blame it on Friday. :)

Kyle

fwiw, attached is derivation of the result in rb1957's post.
I used b and h instead of a and c for the cross section dimensions.

Edit - I probably didn't treat the variable L (length) properly. The original integral should be multiplied by L to give total moment about centerline (summed along the length). The factor m/(b*h*rho) should be m/(L*b*h*rho). Those "errors" cancel out.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4e5a7841-3301-4214-8b9f-77ce584a0509&file=RectangularMassMomentOfInertia.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back