Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

You Know You're Old/Young If ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashereng

Petroleum
Nov 25, 2005
CA
I have been reading various comments in the fora which seems to date the poster as "old" or "young" sometimes.

I though maybe there is sufficient interest to compile a list to help the old identify with the young, and the young to identify with the old.

If you are in between, I guess pick a side?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yep, edlin was, I think, also on CPM80, as was Turbo Pascal 1.0 (really sweet); it only took up a whopping 35 KB of memory, leaving nearly 20 KB for programs, yeah!! Whole thing ran on a 4 MHz Z80 with 64 KB RAM and 2 floppies (smoking!!). Morrow Computers, unfortunately, didn't last past the second generation of PCs.

btw, CPM80 was the predecessor of CPM86, which was the predecessor of DOS.

TTFN

I can see the future of retirement homes now, gummy old nerds arguing about COBOL and Amstrads hehehe. Maybe even engaging in an all night Zork fest ;) .

I can recall playing Ultima on a TRS-80 Model III. ASCII art and all.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Anybody remember a game called "Whumpus" A rooms game played in basic, in which a troll lived with a big stick with which to Whump you if you lost.
I remember this on one of the first IBM PCs. Middle to late 70's I think. If you do remember, you can only be in one camp and it aint young.

IRstuff,
I remember playing DnD, and I ain't old...just didn't get laid much in high school....I'm sure it wasn't b/c of the DnD.....no....couldn't be that.....

Berkshire,

Could not have been in the 70's as the IBM PC didn't exist prior to 1981.

Yes, PC's as we used to know them are only 25 years old!

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

No but it still entered the market in 1981 according to the link you posted.

The Apple ][ entered the market in 1977.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

edlin, vi, VMS, PC, that is all pretty new.

I remember VM/CMS on an IBM S360 (which took up an entire basement of the building) and using IBM's state of the art PROFS (that is a text editor) to do my resume in university. Oh, the S360 was the top of the line mainframe back then.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein

I remember when using a microwave in a snack area was the coolist thing since sliced bread. Big and bulky, and the food really didn't taste very good, but the novelty was huge.

About as young as I can remember, I was writing DOS code to make my friend's Commodore 64 run the game Double Dragon and Spy Hunter. Then came the Nintendo. Ten yard fight, Excitebike, and Duck Hunt were staples.

I was born the last year the Steelers won the Superbowl...guess that puts me on the short side of this conversation.

Your old if your record player runs 33,45 and 78 rpm.

Your even older if you still have 78 rpm records.

Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back