Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Young's modulus - change with temp variations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JourneymanEng

Mechanical
Oct 10, 2002
GB
I am trying to conduct a simple FEA on a Stainless component that will experience temperatures in excess of 650 degrees C.

Problem:
I would like to change the material properties of the Steel i am using to establish the maximum deflection under load.

While my FEA package (ALGOR) will allow for temperature input, i find that achieving a uniform temperature in the model creates a large unworkable mesh.

I am innexperienced with Algor, but have used material property changes with other packages to good effect.

Is there a reference for changes in E or G for Stainless 316/321/304? The usual sources reveal nowt.

Peter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Yes there is a change on the properties of the materials under temperature variations.

For your temperature the value of Modulus of elasticity is about 60% of the original.

The behavior is not linear

For the allowable stresses there is a change too, and for 650C is about 25% of the original

For more onformation try to get a book of materials engineer

Thanks for that ajose.

It would be good to have a look at a curve - do you have a good reference with a graph of the non linear properties?

Strangely the majority of books i have sourced on Steel properties do not provide much on teh changes in Young's Modulus.

JM

I'm far from my place (references) so i perform a search on key words "young modulus temperature"
I found:

+ There some interesting programs
If you are gonig to use frecuently this could be an answerr

+ There is some forum in here called:
>------------>Ansys, young,s modulus in function of the temperature
Where you can find some data

>------------>Help¡¡¡¡ young,s modulus in function of the temperature
Where gunnarhole wrote:
The TEMA Handbook include a table (D-10) which lists Young's Modulus for a variety of material over a wide range of temperatures. For example for plain C-Mn steels:

T, F E, lbf/in^2
100 29,000,000
200 28.5
300 28
400 27.4
500 27
600 26.4
700 25.3
800 23.9
900 22.2
1000 20.1

Try the best for your job.

I'm looking for a Sigma/Epsilon-Diagram (Tension) for steel and how it varies on different temperatures.
I need it for an FE-analysis in ABAQUS

Where can I get this?

JourneymanEng, if you will post a fax number, I will fax to you a copy of a table with the properties of E for stainless steel from -425 F to 1500 F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back