Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

zig zag broken dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunt58

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2005
US
Is it possible to show a broken dimension without a broken view? I want to show a dimension relative to the floor. I wanted to just sketch a line for the floor then edit a dimension and show the dim line with a break.

Certified SolidWorks Associate
SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Xeon 3.2GHz Quad Core, 8GB RAM
Win 7 Pro X64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why can't you just use the broken view? In your model create a sketch where your floor should be then put a break in your drawing. Besides as far as I know that's the only way to show the break line on a dimension.

Then I have a line floating in my model. I suppose I can create another configuration. I thought I'd never say this but AutoCad has a nice feature called dimjogline. Basically adds a breakline to a dim.

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

Wayne Matus Nov 8, 2008 12:09 AM (in response to Kim Krubsack)

Here is a work-around if the zigzag is acceptable. You can sketch an arc in the detail view. Add a radiius dimension and a dimension from your edge to the arc centerpoint. You then make the radius dimension a foreshortened dimesnion. You can put the arc on a hidden layer, hide the radius dimension and hide the appropriate dimension and witness lines. This was done in 2009. I could not get the double arrows even though I have it set in the document options.

Thanks Felix. That works good enough for me. I understand why you can't just break a dim. like I want to do as it is not to any standard, but we like to show references to what the assembly interacts with and it's elevation.

Thanks again.

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1902fa04-71c0-4bb4-bd4e-8a5a81dc62c6&file=Untitled.jpg
I think going forward I'll make virtual part floor and add a configuration as Dievant suggested. Then I can do a proper broken view.

Thanks again.

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back