Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Zoom into small component

Status
Not open for further replies.

drfaust

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2003
US
I am working in a large assembly (component amounts and machine overall dimensional size). The problem I am having is trying to zoom into a small 1mm X 1mm X 5mm component placed inside the machine. I am wondering if there is a way I can select the component I want to find by name or pick from the model tree and then have ProE zoom into the part within the assembly to show me the location?
Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A small part like that will be hard to find in an assembly that is large in comparison.
I would venture to guess that your accuracy is set to Relative. Change it to Absolute and see if that helps.

The attached file explains accuracy and how Pro/E calculates it.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fc5835a1-7a71-4e71-8ccf-4884c2643839&file=TPI_32869_-_Accuracy.pdf
The accuracy is already set to Absolute = .01mm per our Meshing software requirements. I was hoping that inside the "Find" menu within Proe WildFire 4.0 there would be the option that once you select the item to find it would hilite the item within the model and possibly then zoom into it.

Highlite it in the model tree will highlite it on the graphics window, but it may be too small to see unless you are already zoomed into that area.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Yes that is correct about hiliting but unable to see on the screen. A 1mm X 1mm X 5mm part is like "literlly looking for a needle in a hay stack".
Thanks.

In the find dialog, you can look for a part by geometry, and set a distance. This would highlight adjacent parts within that set distance. You would need to pick the part you are looking for in the model tree and play around with the distance, but it should at least get you closer than you are now.
CRTL+F look for part, look by part/ geometry, distance, is less than, x value, type:part, reference click the arrow, and click the part you are looking for in the model tree

It seems the best way (which isn't that great) is to select the extrude of the small part from within the model tree of the top level assembly and just select edit definition and let sketcher zoom into the part. Then I can manually zoom out until I can figure out a location for the part within the assembly.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Depending on your assembly constraints, you might be able to expand the Placement set in the model tree and select the individual constraints to get an idea of the location.

<tg>

Unfortunately 75% of these small components are placed by Coord Sys and will not give a clue to there location but I do thank you for your suggestion.
Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back