Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

12 Volt vs 24 Volt diesel engine 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ro_kru

Mechanical
May 14, 2021
CA
In diesel engine we have 12volt and 24volt battery system. I am wondering for any application of diesel engine, how can we decide whether we need 12volt or 24volt diesel engine? What are the deciding factors about it? I can understand that by increasing voltage we can have more power, but why we need 24 volt over 12 volt?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

[pre]
Tugboateng said:
Batteries mostly come in 2.1v flavors
[/pre]

Per cell, yes. For the vast majority of Diesel engine starting applications, 12V batteries are used and connected in series for 24V (when the system is 24V).

Fair enough. There does seem to be a bit of US Europe divide on this subject.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Wait until 48V becomes more common! Both car and commercial vehicle sectors are applying it particularly to hybrid powertrains and WHR [waste heat recovery] systems in CV's.

I believe you are thinking of 480v hi voltage systems, which are commonly still controlled with 12v lo. College professors and the media have been predicting a lo voltage change for 20+ years, still haven't seen it tho for the obvious reason - no benefit and plenty of cost.

No, I did mean 48 volts not 480 V. Take a look at the DOE Supertruck program and you will see them using 48V for the electric PAS, air compressor, and WHR.

Not on top of this topic myself, but I note that the North American auto industry switched from 6v to 12v during the 1950s.

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

TugboatEng said:
An interesting note, one of the reasons 24 volt never gained popularity for automotive applications is that the filaments for the light bulbs are much thinner and couldn't tolerate bumpy roads.
All solved by LEDs these days.

je suis charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back