Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

15amp circuit problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

polar1

Computer
Aug 20, 2002
US
I have 2 separate 15amp circuits in my kitchen. One has 2 overhead florescent light fixtures and the second has 2 receptacles with a clock radio in one and a small 1 foot florescent light plugged into the other.
I replaced the clock radio with a new one and within about 30 minutes one overhead light went out - I thought it was the bulb (separate circuit as radio). 20 minutes later the second light went out (separate circuit as radio). Finally the small light went out (same circuit as radio). I unplugged the radio - it did feel a little warm and within 15 minutes the lights came back on. I plugged the radio in again and the same thing happened again. The small light on the same circuit as the radio is dead now - only a year old.
During all this the radio maintained power.
The house is 30 years old and is well wired more than ample circuits. Could the problem be with the radio or the receptacle? Why would it affect a separate circuit?

Thank You for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

get the service of a qualified electrician..i am sure the circuit needs to be identified wire to wire to trace the problem..

dydt

From what you have described, everything points to the radio. This is just a clock radio, right? Your ballast in your lights need some minimum voltage and it sounds like the radio is browning out the power supply causing them to shut off. This is kind of strange since a clock radio shouldn't pull much current. And if it is truly the additional load (radio) causing the voltage to drop some then there must be another load on the same breaker or you have bigger problems. Does the radio have a UL label on it? Do any filament bulbs appear to dim when any of this is going on? I think you should hire an electrician as well unless you feel comfortable knowing what your doing.

Thank you for your replies. The radio has a UL label it is a GE clock radio. The radio that was plugged in to the same receptacle prior to this one was also a GE (just got old) so I replaced it but there were no electrical problems, that is what made me think it might be the new radio (last thing that changed). I just could not figure out how it could affect a seperate circuit.

Thank You for your help.

i will tell you a story i encountered when a friend of mine called me to his home...he was puzzled why one of the light bulb keeps on blowing after few days of use...and sometimes it is dimming...i asked him if he did some wiring before this happens...he said he did...apparently he made a new receptacle and tie the two wires across a "light switch"...when the switch is on/off strange things happen ...when the switch is off..2 loads are connected in series at 120v supply ...when the switch is off the light is okay but there is no power on the receptacle...

i am not saying you may have the same scenario but like i said on the earlier thread...get an electrician to check the wirings..

good luck
dydt

Hi there,

I agree that you need the wiring checked, but one strong possibility is that in the act of unplugging your old radio and plugging in the new one, the movement of the receptacle may have loosened a neutral connection, which could essentially put your ceiling lights and your receptacles in series across 240V (this is how it affects separate circuits). Depending on the relative loads, the voltage will divide. Sounds like your radio is taking the bulk of the voltage (and getting warm) while the lights aren't getting their fair share (thus not starting).

Let us know what you find out!

Old Dave

I had the circuit checked out by an electrician. All was fine. He did notice on the bottom of the radio a "quality check list" - small tag numbered 1 through 8 (no info) with only 5 check marks and a blue stamp over it (could not read stamp). He said it looked like the radio failed its factory test. I plugged in another radio and small florescent light
and all is well again.

Thanks to all for your help I feel better knowing the wireing is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back