2007 Solidworks is SLOW? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

designmr

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2005
US
Just asking about.

We just converted to 2007 Solidworks here at work. Has anyone noticed it runs abit SLOWER then when using 2006? Or is it just us here at work?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CBL, you're to funny, lol! I was reading it the same way as you, but I knew what designmr was talking about.

funny........

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 4.0
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
nVida Quadro FX 3450/4000

Funny, I have been working for TI for about 2 years and I totally read it like IT ;)

More on the subject, I'm still really doubting to go over to SW2007. At the moment I work at a customer 3 days a week in SW2007 and I do my own projects in SW2006. My customers computer hardware is really up a few nodges comparing to my own system but I am really missing the "smoothness" feeling here that I do have on my own system running SW2006.

Bouke Brouwers
M-Des
The Netherlands.

I have seen a lot of people having slow downs with the Quadro FX 3500 cards. You should make sure your VC driver is correct. If so, then you might want to investigate another driver just to see if it works better.

Remember you have to Uninstall the old driver, Reboot, Install the new driver, Reboot, and test.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Scott, I just updated my driver to the latest version and didn't uninstall the old one first. So what you're saying is...I need to do this for video drivers? Uninstall and re-install? Or are you talking about the SW software?

Thanks,

Colin

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 4.0
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
nVida Quadro FX 3450/4000

Just a side note about PDM Works. If they have not releised the sp4.1 yet you need to read the notification on sp4 for pdmworks before installing it.

I am with Macduff, should the old software version of Solidworks get deleted before re-installing the new version? If so does it make that much of a difference? Where would ONE find out why this makes a difference, this company would NOT want us to spend the time unless there was GOOD reason to re-install our 2007.

Rporter, where do you find the info on SP4 for PDM? Is there problem with PDM on 2007 SP3.1?

Thanks

Scott is talking about the video card driver when he says un-install, reboot, install, reboot... You DO NOT have to un-install SolidWorks on a service pack upgrade. You should ALWAYS un-install SolidWorks before any Major version installation (for example from 2006 to 2007 version). Your IT (or TI) department SHOULD NOT have chosen the upgrade option during install when going from 2006 to 2007 version. If IT has you guys locked down, then at least there should be a liason between engineering and IT - someone that is familiar with both worlds and can instruct/advise IT on how to proceed.

Pete

Pete,

Are you sure about ALWAYS installing an older version before installing the next major release? Is there a downside to having 2 major releases installed concurrently? If so, this is news to me. I'm not talking about an upgrade from one major release to the next, I'm talking about 2 parallel installations on the same machine.

dgowans,

You can have 2 major version installed on the same machine, but you must be very careful to keep them in separate install folders. I actually run anywhere from 2-3 major versions (including Betas). I would recommend for your regular users that they just have 1 version installed - unless you need others for working with other parties that, say, run on a previous version. You also need to take care that your toolbox data is kept separate from major versions. All in all, I would recommend just sticking to one major version if you don't need 2 or more.
Here is my outline for updating users here from major versions...

1. Backup Data
2. Turn off AV software
3. Un-install previous version of SolidWorks (including all other programs)
4. Delete the install folders (all of them)
5. Clean the registry
6. Reboot
7. Turn of AV software
8. Install the Newer Major version
9. Apply company standards via a reg file
10. Run CCleaner (clears temp file junk and invalid registry entries)
11. Defrag

pdybeck, what happens if you just upgrade, like say we are doing from 2006 to 2007, without uninstalling the old version? Does it make that much of a difference?

Seems the way your doing it makes it alot cleaner install, but will the newer version run cleaner then not doing it the way you mentioned?

I am not a IT (not TI, as I put before..:) ) person, and am not sure. So not sure what is the best way, but again, the IT person here doesn't understand Solidworks.

Sbaugh, seems what you saying is my Quadro FX 3500 card, might not be the best for Solidworks. I am POSITIVE the company will NOT replace are cards though.

Thanks

designmr,

If you choose the upgrade from one major to the next without choosing new install and without keeping a new install separate, then you will end up with SolidWorks issues. If this is your case, then I would recommend following the procedure I listed above. If you are only running SolidWorks 2007 and did an upgrade from 2006 - then this could be the source of your slowness issues (could be).

Pete

I didn't say that the card was not supported... I was just saying that I have seen that card have more trouble with SW07 this year. It was always resolved with a driver most of the time, but sometimes that didn't fix the issue either.

My Uninstall process was for the driver and the driver only. Also that process only works with Nvidia drivers. Those drivers are notorious for conflicting drivers if you don't uninstall the drivers first and ensure that Windows uses the VGA driver when you reboot after you remove the old driver. If you don't get all the drivers removed, then the chances of you getting a conflict in drivers are high. You want be able to tell either, because it will tell you, you are using the latest driver. So when you install new drivers for Nvidia cards follow that process above and make sure that your VGA driver takes over when you reboot.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

CorBlimeyLimey, reading a little on upgrading to a new version, seems we REALLY need someone who understand Solidworks and being a IT person to upgrade us.

sounds familiar....

"If IT has you guys locked down, then at least there should be a liason between engineering and IT - someone that is familiar with both worlds and can instruct/advise IT on how to proceed."

Pete

If you did upgrade your SW06 to SW07 then you are going to probably have problems with your SW. You must uninstall the old version and install the new version. I always change the install directory too just so I don't overwrite anything either.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back