Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

2009 Stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

cninneman

Industrial
Nov 18, 2004
US
Hello, just wondering if anyone has any input on how stable 2009 is? We are still running 2006 at our company, but have made the purchase of 2009, and are curious if we should wait for a couple service packs or if it's stable as is. We understand that we are going to have some learning to do, due to our leap from 06, so that's not an issue. Just don't want to have any added down time, due to bugs.

Thanks,
Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless you had real good workstations for SW2006 or have upgraded since, you will probably need to.

Well spec'd workstations, with correctly installed hardware and software, will help ensure smooth running of SW2009.

Many people just throw the latest version of SW onto a cluttered, crappy PC and can't understand why they don't have perfect performance.

[cheers]

Thanks CorBlimeyLimey, we have been doing some serious upgrades on our workstations, to handle the switch. That much we are prepared for.

We just upgraded to SW2009 and I am not too impressed by its stability. We have more crashes than before (SW2008 SP4.0). In some cases SW just disappears without any warning and error message. I guess people at SW fixed some of the crashes by just doing that.

One other thing. SolidWorks messed with my AutoCAD, without any warning or permission, and I really didn't like that. I think it's not fair.

The SW interference with AutoCAD can be eliminated by installing after SW.

Can you list your system specs?

Did you upgrade, multi-install or clean install SW09?
AntiVirus on or off? (Which AV)
Did you update your graphics drivers? (update or clean install?)

[cheers]

The one crash I have, that is totally random, is when I go to expand the decals folder in the Feature manager, and then click in that area, the entire system crashes. I have the latest graphics card driver and am fully approved. SP1 did not fix it. I've also noticed that sometimes when applying a decal real view has to be turned off then on for it to show. something funny is going on.

Other than that, its pretty stable in my opinion and is a joy to work on.

Dell Precision PWS490
Intel Xeon CPU Dual Core
4.00 GB RAM
Windows XP x64 SP2
nVidia Quadro FX 3500 256MB
driver version 6.14.0011.7551
SolidWorks 2009 SP1.0

Clean install SW2009 with Trend AV disabled.
Downloaded SP1.0 and run SW insatllation manager
to update to SP1.0.
All this time AV was disabled.
Graphics driver was updated before installing SW

I had a lot of problems with 2009 SP 0 and recently wiped everything and reinstalled it with SP1. This has been noticably more stable. Most of the hangs and crashes are when we've got multiple drawings openned.

A user here with a Vista x64 box and SW09-SP1 has been having instability problems with MS Office ans SW, but it looks like it is the OS at fault (at least partially). I am having the computer re-formatted and OS re-installed tonight. Will report more after testing.

[cheers]

I am happy to see no more stability problems at SP2.0. One thing I did was to change the nVidia driver from the one SW recommended to an earlier one. Another one is running x32 although my OS is Win XP x64. At home I have a Core 2 Quad computer with Vista x64 and it didn't allow me to install SW x32 so I am running SW x64 and also I have no stability issues.

Still there are some annoying little bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back