Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A cantilever beam subjected to the uniform pressure load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuchi Kang

Jan 31, 2018
SE
Hello everyone,
I am trying to calculate the max deflection u2 of a cantilever beam. The cross-section is circle whose radius (r) is 0.01m and length (l)is 1m.One end is fixed and one end is free. This beam is subjected to a pressure on its upper circumferential surface with 10000Pa. In order to verify this model, I calculate the deformation in this way:
p*2r*(l^4)/8/E/I
E is 210*10^9Pa, I=pi*(2r)^4/64
The hand calculation of deformation at the free end is 1.516mm. However, the numerical result is 1.627(for C3D8I) and 1.704 (for C3D8R).
What's the reason for this discrepancy?

Yuchi
TIM%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720180202145734_wiuauy.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Correct me if I am wrong: Are you saying you have 20 elements through thickness? If yes, then (keeping your question aside) that seems overly excessive.

More importantly, on the analytical side, you have a long and thin beam under stress. I have not done any hand calculations but I wonder if the theoretical assumptions are even valid.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Hi. Sorry for reply late. I think it's correct about the analytical side although Large deformation is considered. I think the main reason maybe associated with the element type(C3D8I). I will continue to work on this then post my new findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back