A query on wheel rim

Status
Not open for further replies.

bljnv

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2003
IN
Dear all
I am interested to know if i can convert a tubeless wheel rim to a tubed rim for a special equipment like road sweeper.
Will there be any difference in rim thickness apart from the visual difference of valve hole.
This will be a short term arrangement till I get the correct rim.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A tubeless rim will have a drop center so the tire can be buttonhooked on. The tubetype rim doesn't have this. My fear would be that the tube would want to inflate into that well.

However, the tube can be punctured by projections inside the rim. Sometimes they use a flap to prevent this - a thick slap of rubber put in after the tube inserted.

On the balance, I wouldn't recommend doing this on a log term basis, but I think it will work as a temporary solution.

And to answer the exact question you asked, the way tubetype tires and tubeless tires carry the load is exactly the same, so the rim thickness is immaterial.

Hi Bljnv,

Rim thickness is dependent on the wheel loads, and there isn't any difference between tubeless and tube tire loading. You haven't told us if you're using "J" configuration car/lt. truck rims or "K" medium truck rims, but the retention of the tire beads depends on inflation supplied tension stretching the beads into the seats. I'd chalk mark the tire position to the rim to make sure there's no slippage that would damage the tubes, and possibly increase the inflation pressure.

That said, the tube increase the rate of rapid air loss on blowouts and may pose a risk on some applications. If speeds are low, and vehicle control is not a concern, you should be OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back