Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acronym for Resistor color code 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

topper42

Electrical
Jan 31, 2007
US
I'm Helping a group of people rember an easy way for remebering the colors of the resistor color code, please repost with your acronyms

Oh wow. That takes me back. The one that was taught to me in junior high was "bad boys run on your grass, but vivacious girls won't."

"Bad boys rape our young girls, but Violet goes willingly"

was the one we learned in high school.

TTFN

Interesting with these "rhymes". We learned it another way. The colours of the rainbow are known by everyone - and they constitute numbers 2 - 7. It is then an easy matter to remember that black is zero (no light) and that white is nine (most light). Brown (1) fits nicely between blk and rd and so does grey (8) between vl and wt.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

So where was this Violet when I was in high school? ;)

I can't remember what they taught us, but I do remember ROYGBIV (pronounced roy-gee-biv) from my optics classes and the rest is always easy to fill in.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Itsmoked wrote:

>IRtuff; It's "Violet gives willingly"

I learned it as "gives" too.....

Don't want to screw up the tradition do we?

Cheers,

Rich S.

I daren't post the version I learnt in school. It was pretty horrible - rapes and virgins featured in it. I hadn't given it any thought in a long time until this thread triggered the memory. Perhaps it should stay forgotten!

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

I always thought it was a substitute for "comes." ;-)

Perhaps it's a West Coast thing?

TTFN

Let's not forget the tolerance band
"Violet gives willingly" for Gold, Silver or Nothing

AFab, "Violet gives willingly, get some now." Get some now for gold, silver and no tolerance band.

Another one we learned was, "Black beer rots our young guts but vodka goes good."

I also learned the ScottyUK version, with "rapes" and "virgins" which left quite a memorable impression on this particular young engineering student.

But is now best left in the past.

For the ROYGBIV bit, I was taught “Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain”

Regards,

Barfed
Beer
Reeks
On
Your
Grimy
Bath
Vanity
Guess
Who

Gross
Shi*

-An AnalogKid original

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's the questions that drive us"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh dear oh dear,

You mucky devils.

Bye bye Rosie of you go Birminghan via Great western,

Should also satisfy the PC brigade.

Of course, technically, these are all mnemonic devices.
The acronym is "BBROYGBVGWGS". :)

Bad Boze Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well

we also learned the rape version above but my high school teacher though this version was more PC with the parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back