Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced degrees online 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

71corvette

Structural
Feb 26, 2003
US
I know this question has come up before, but I'd like to hear some objective opionions about pursuing advanced degrees online.

I've been wanting to get my MS in structural engineering for a while now but my options have been limited due to a lack of any nearby colleges or universities offering these types of courses.

Today, I recieved an e-mail from Eng-Tips describing an online degree program offered by Norwich University. Below is a link to their brocure:

I'd be interested to hear your opinions. It seems like a convienient way to get the degree, but I'm apprehensive about what appears to be a lack of flexability in the coursework (when compared to traditional programs). Also, in my experience professor-student interaction is key to a good education, especially when pursuing a graduate degree, and that this interaction would be limited when taking online courses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems like online courses would have a lot to offer if you just want to pick up a course here and there to advance your education without committing to a full program. You are no longer restricted to what your local college offers and you don't have to beg for time off from work to meet their schedule.

I know lots of people who just paid a thousand or so dollars to one of those degree mills that have a phone # for verification.
You can buy BS and MS, Phds whatever title you like. Employers rarely check and even if they do and you get fired, chances are they will be afraid to tell your future prospective employers. If they do tell, they are afraid they will get sued.
A fun thing to do is just check that EE-OP info only box that you are black. Hell even if you look white, as long as you swear you are black no one, and I mean no one will mess with you. Even if you did buy your degree at a mill and they can prove it.
Now if you really want the engineering knowledge. Pay the high tuition at a DOE accredited university and put your time in.

I am a PE and don't think I make enough money or ever will. So I have decided to look into becoming an attorney. Are there any correspondence courses to become a lawyer? I need my engineer job to pay the bills. Even if I am able to become a lawyer through a correspondence route, will the lawyer starting pay be worthwhile? Any ideas? Thanks

SB63 - why in the h$%# are you asking engineers about how to become a lawyer or how much lawyers make? Frankly, ALL law schools in the US should be closed and locked for at least 25 years - we DON'T need more lawyers and the savings to the economy would be enormous.

I knew going to Civil that it was one of the lowest paying engineering disciplines, but I chose it out of several possibilities because it suited my interest (notice I did not say personality). Law and Engineering is two vastly different areas of knowledge, and to change for purely money does not seem logical, because unless you enjoy what you do the money will never satisfy.

Back to topic, I have spoken to Norwich a few more times, and as previously stated (by someone else) I would not recommend it until they iron out all the problems, that will inevitable happen with a new program. I haven taken both traditional and online video courses and find them both adequate, and think if the individual were disciplined enough, either, or both, would be a good way to get your MS.

Last thing, anyone know of an online Bridge Design course? My university does not offer a course in Bridge Design.

I recently completed my first outreach course from the U. of Idaho. They tape the on campus lectures, then send out a DVD once a week. It was nice to have some flexibility as to when to watch the lectures and to be able watch parts at 2x speed, some at normal speed, some at half speed then rewind it to watch again.

If you want your MS, you should move near a top-notch university and go for it! I doubt that there is a substitute for being there working closely with your professors on your research.

Relationships with big-time professors have really paid off for me over the years. I know several other MS people who did non-thesis options or otherwise didn't work with professors enough to make good relationships. This kind of thing can be a big deal over the long haul. I would think that this would be far worse from a remote location. I suppose it's possible that you know somehow that these things won't/don't matter in your career.

It's definitely not the quality of instruction that matters in this case. Most of my teachers absolutely stink and I end up teaching myself out of the books anyway.

DBD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back