Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Alternative drafting standards in NX6 - settings problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty7

Jul 27, 2004
GB
At our site we have 2 alternative drafting standards , one ISO-based and one ASME-based. In NX2 and 4 we used seed parts to control the different settings, with the DPV set to ISO so that users pressing the "Restore Defaults" button may get the right result, but in NX6 the possibility is there to have separate standards on the system, with separate drafting standard DPV files. The Preferences > Drafting > Drawing Settings is set to use drawing template, by the way, and we are testing out NX6.0.1.

However, we seem to have some issues. The base DPV file has to have something set as the base drafting standard, so say ISO is selected. If I create a new part using an ASME template part, then initially I still see settings that are as the ISO standard (e.g. view labels), but if I then use Tools > Drafting Standards to select the ASME standard, any subsequent labels are to our ASME standard. The section line standard does not change, however. If I save the part and quit NX, then restart and open the same part, the same behaviour is observed. However, if I change the default drafting standard in the Site DPV file to ASME, then restart NX and reopen the part, I get the ASME settings by default. If I try this the other way around, with ASME as default with ISO seed part, I get the reverse behaviour. If I select Drawing Settings to Settings from Standard, I get even more strange behaviour, as for example the section line style does change as the new standard is adopted.

Basically, the question is, has anyone else seen this, or know of a way round it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I sort of said in the OP, Preferences > Drafting > General > Drawing Settings is set to Drawing Template. If I set this to Use Settings from Standard it gets even stranger, as I get some settings from the Standard and some from God knows where, until I apply the standard. Also, using Drawing Settings, the section line standard remains unchanged from original independent of drafting standard, whereas if I use Settings from Standard, it does update. However, in the Preferences > Section Line, it remains unchanged regardless.
It also makes no difference whether I use master model concept or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back