Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

API 1104 vs ASME IX , from one PQR can I develope 2 WPS for 2 different welding codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kripton

Materials
Aug 9, 2016
RU
Hello there,

I have a PQR prepared/tested as per the API 1104 & B31.8 design code.
Is it possible to write a new WPS as per ASME IX & B31.3 using the same PQR.
PQR Included:
2xTensile Test as per API 1104
2xFace,2xRoot Bends as per API 1104
6 set (3) Charpy per ASTM E23-12c (HAZ & WCL)
2 set Hardness (V) per ASTM E384

Thx.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The simple answer is "no."

The testing requirements are not the same in respect to the bend radi of the bend tests, the size and preparation of the tensile test specimens, and the acceptance criteria o the tests.

API 1104 only requires the bend sample to produce a 9% elongation, whereas ASME requires a 20% elongation.

API 104 tensile test does not require the tensile specimen to be machined so the sides and face and root are parallel. API allows the face and root reinforcement to remain in place for the test, ASME does not.

Best regards - Al

agree with gtaw

the purpose of the PRQ is different because of the difference construction code.

The PQR and WPS must be prepared with the corresponding construction code respectively,Cannot be used mixed.

I too agree wholeheartedly with Als comments.
A big hello from China my friend.

lslcpfcc,
Just a comment. There is nothing wrong with "mixing" as you have stated if it is done correctly.
A PQR is just a test coupon - if you follow all of the respective requirements and there is sufficient material for all the respective test samples (and they comply) you can have a PQR that complies with both API 1104 and ASME IX,

Cheers,
Shane

Hello DekDee;

I'm a little closer to home. I'm in Houston this week, Annapolis next week.

Good point, there is no reason one can't think ahead and use the same welded assemble, extract the required samples, and meet the requirements of a couple of welding standards. The fly in the ointment is one must think ahead and plan how to do it.

Best regards - Al

dekdee
are you from china, the same to me.

I dont agree with your point "A PQR is just a test coupon" ,A PQR cannot be simply considered a test coupon, a test coupon only the tool or approach to complete the all PQR, PQR is a complex process not only a test coupon.
The AI's point is correct.

lslcpfcc,
I probably didn't word it well.
A PQR test coupon is just that - it is a test coupon.
When you are welding a test coupon the code you are welding to is irrelevant.
I can weld 4 x plates with exactly the same essential variables and have the 4 x plates tested in accordance with ASME IX, API 1104, AWS D1.1 and BS/EN 15614.
I can then write 4 x PQR's with the test information.
Or, I can weld 1 x plate large enough to get test samples for all four codes.
I can then write 4 x PQR's with the test information.

I live in Thailand, working in Qidong, Jiangsu Province

Cheers,
Shane

Thx for the good inputs, bottom line that is what I understood, if the coupon welded, tested, and PQR has already been done as per the API1104 and not sufficient specimen left for the additional mech.test, than it's not acceptable extracting the only test parameters and results from the PQR (API1104) and develop a wps as per the ASME IX.

Hello,

ASME B31.3 2014 edition,Table 331.1.1 PWHT, P-NO.1 , group nos. 1-3:
Holding temp. range 595 to 650deg C: Min. holding time at Temperature for control thickness up to 50mm is 1 hr/25mm and 2 hr plus min for each additional 25 mm over 50 mm.

Thickness range is not mention,it says only up to 50mm. This is not clear to me, can please explain a little bit further?

Thanks

kripton,

API 1104 and ASME IX have different mechanical testing requirements, as well as different requirements for testing equipment. You could use the same welding parameters and develop welding procedures that meet the requirements of each relevant code/specification, but the testing must meet the requirements of each relevant code/specification. In general, API 1104 will require more mechanical testing than will an ASME IX WPS, however, you cannot use the API 1104 test results to develop an ASME IX WPS for reasons stated above.

andrewski: you will get more relevant answers if you start an new thread than by hijacking an existing topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back