Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 600 EXTENDED Body valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

anand25111987

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2014
SA
Dear all,

Can some one enlighten me in this. Recently I encountered a case where the customer requested extended body design in compliance with API 600. I referred the specification but there was no reference to extended body. However we have extended body reference to API602.

Valve size is 2 inch 150#.

Can some one please help me with this. I need to be sure before I go back to customer.

Thanks and Regards,

AP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi AP

I have had to make a couple of assumptions here, however I will do my best to try and assist.

You are correct (as far as I can see) that there is no listing in API600 for "Extended Body Design" valves, nor is there any listing for them in the referenced specification for end to end dimensions, which is ASME B61.10 - see section 5.3.2 in API600.

As far as I can see they must mean in accordance with API602. That said I would get back to them and question which standard they want the valve designed to. If there is an error in the datasheet they will need to know about it or maybe they mean something else entirely. I can't really think of anything that they could mean as "long pattern" and "short pattern" designs, which are referenced in B16.10, are well defined terms I wouldn't think anyone would be mixing them up with "extended body".

If you get a question like this on a datasheet I would always ask for clarification. When getting a specification for any item of equipment right I believe there is never a stupid question.

Good luck with it.

Duane
Piping and Valve Engineer - Oil & Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back