Are PDH courses tax deductible? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtSmuggler

Geotechnical
Sep 29, 2021
US
Hello

The current company I work for do not pay for PDH courses and credits, whether online or in person. I was wondering if the cost for attending the conferences for PDH credits are tax deductible? And if so, is it just the course/conference, or would the travel also be deductible? Anyone have any experience with this. My accountant said it's only tax deductible if I'm self employed. Another accountant told me I could since I need to keep my PE license to perform my work. A third accountant I spoke to said it is not deductible because you would incur those expenses to keep your job.

I found this from the IRS website;
-------------------
You may be able to deduct the cost of work-related education expenses paid during the year if you're:

A self-employed individual
An Armed Forces reservist
A qualified performing artist
A fee-based state or local government official
A disabled individual with impairment-related education expenses

To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves skills needed in your present work or (2) your employer or the law requires to keep your present salary, status or job. However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education can't be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your present trade or business.

Education expenses incurred during temporary absence from your work may also be deductible, but the education must be to maintain or improve skills needed in your present work. After your temporary absence, you must return to the same general type of work. Usually, absence from work for one year or less is considered temporary.

Expenses that you can deduct include:

Tuition, books, supplies, lab fees, and similar items
Certain transportation and travel costs
Other educational expenses, such as the cost of research and typing
------------------------------

I'm understanding that as if I can deduct it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These are fully deductible to a business (whether a sole proprietor or entity) but not deductible to W-2 employees. So, since it sounds like your only income is from the company paying you through W-2, these would NOT be deductible.

If however, you did side work or got paid as a 1099 contractor doing engineering work, you could deduct these against that income.

Of course, verify with a CPA.

IRstuff said:
I think they can be deducted on itemized deductions as employee expenses, but subject to a 7% threshold, i.e., only expenses over 7% of income are deductible, but check with tax professional

That deduction is no longer available.

It's still in my copy of Turbo Tax for this year
deduction_g3qhu9.png

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-benefits-for-education-information-center#:~:text=You%20can%20deduct%20the%20costs,present%20salary%2C%20status%20or%20job.[/URL]]Qualifying work-related education

You can deduct the costs of qualifying work-related education as business expenses. This is education that meets at least one of the following two tests:

The education is required by your employer or the law to keep your present salary, status or job. The required education must serve a bona fide business purpose of your employer.
The education maintains or improves skills needed in your present work.
However, even if the education meets one or both of the above tests, it is not qualifying work-related education if it:

Is needed to meet the minimum educational requirements of your present trade or business or
Is part of a program of study that will qualify you for a new trade or business.
You can deduct the costs of qualifying work-related education as a business expense even if the education could lead to a degree.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Interesting, let me hop on this. If I go for NCSEA conferences, are my travel bills (hotel and flight) tax deductible since I was there for educational purposes?

(After rereading some IRS pages and the quotes above, I find myself confused and I have deleted my entire reply other than this...)

I am a slightly experienced and VERY amateur preparer of tax returns. Assume nothing about the accuracy of what I say. Check with your own tax pro.

Bulb -
If you are an employee, W2, then no.
If you are self employed, filing 1040 schedule C, or an LLP or S-corp, then yes it can be claimed as a business expense.

Aside from the basic qualification, its also important to note that unrelated travel, meals, and incidentals must be apportioned as they're not deductible. If your spouse comes along, you extend the trip into a vacation, etc those additional costs cant be claimed.

If you want to learn about taxes I'd start by reviewing your federal income tax return - Form 1040. The IRS website has the "1040 instructions" pdf booklet which explains the form and more importantly, the common credits, deductions, and terminology therein. The arithmetic is straightforward and largely irrelevant. Go line-by-line and familiarize yourself with the qualifying activities required for each credit/deduction and whether it potentially has a small or large impact on the return. Deduction vs credit makes a big difference, as does the size of the credit or deduction. A $100 credit is $100 returned to you. A $100 deduction reduces your taxable income by $100, so might mean $10 returned to you. Once you're familiar with the most common credits/deductions on the 1040, google is great for finding material on others. "IRS pub" or "deduction for" + plain English returns a lot. One caution - there are many great and terrible non-govt websites, CPAs, etc, plus a ton of "influencers" repeating wrong/bad info for views or advertising. Remain neutral and verify everything you read elsewhere against the IRS pubs on their website before filing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back