Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

area of elements is too small,zero or negative

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanch35000

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2006
FR
Hi guys,

I have a problem on indentation simulation. I work on .INP file and i've generated 1750 elements by meshing part.
When the analysis start, monitor tells me that

The area of 1750 elements is too small, zero or negative.

What does it mean? Does it come from boundary conditions?

Thanks

Best regards.

Fanch

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe you have a large strain problem where your elements submit large deformations. Redo the mesh accordingly with the state problem or try to do a rezoning to keep area elements at a reasonable shape.

Do you define any contact surface pairs? Adjust the slave nodes set? If yes, the automated slave nodes adjustment will change the element shape in great distortion.

You can also get this when you use contact and opt for moving the slave nodes to the master surface. This can alter your mesh before the analysis starts.

corus

- check out elements in your mesh (this error comes often with bad element definition)
- check out adjusting at start of analysis (it can deform elements which have adjusted nodes). Try to control it by specifed tolerance value, using nsets rather than specifed tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back