Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE 7-10 Chapter 13 - Welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

BS2

Structural
Feb 10, 2012
US
I have a steel conveyor system designed under ASCE 7-10 Chapter 13 in SDC D. The R is specified per the chapter as R=3. However, I can not find where the weld requirements are specified if there are any. It does not seem to fall under AISC 341 as far as I can tell. I am getting questions in the field about using a filler metal without a CVN specification. Can anyone provide guidance or a resource for this situation? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For ASCE 7-10 -
Section 13.6.1 refers both to the Table 13.6-1 (where your R=3.0 comes from) and also to Section 13.4 for the "attachment" of the component to the structure.

Section 13.4 states in its first paragraph that components shall be attached in accordance with 13.4 AND shall "satisfy the requirements for the parent material as set forth elsewhere in this standard."

That seems to me that whatever the parent material requires with respect to welding, the attachment of the component must also meet the same welding requirements.
So if the parent (supporting) element requires AISC 341 welding rules, so does your component attachment to the parent element.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

JAE - Thanks for the reply.

That seems to make sense - and I did see that provision but it seemed so generic that I thought there must be some other requirement. In this case, it is mounted to a slab on grade but other times it is mounted to a mezzanine slab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back