Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Based features

Status
Not open for further replies.

TASCT

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2008
US
I am new to CATIA and I have been using Pro/E for the last 5 years. In pro/e parts can have external links to assemblies, by using assembly based features, I know I can do this in CATIA as well, I just don't know if I need to enable an option to allow me to do that. I can insert a new part while in an assembly but I can't insert any sketches even if the part is the active document.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which level is active? On a part in a product you have both the instance level and reference level. The instance is the icon with a white sheet with blue and yellow gears and a red axis, the reference is the icon with the white sheet and one yellow gear. The reference level needs to be active to be able to insert geometries and as brengine said make sure the right workbench is active.

Thank you for the responses, they lead me to two additional questions, how do I change the active level and how do I switch the active workbench?

Double click on the wanted level in the specification tree so the background of the text turns blue.

Many ways to switch workbenches, start with the drop down menu Start where you will find all the available workbenches grouped in domains. Note that some are uniqie for product and other for parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back