Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Symmetry - Threads aren't mirrored

Status
Not open for further replies.

abeschneider

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2003
US
I have an issue, where I created an associative Asemmbly Symmetry of a part which had tapped holes. The geometric features (ie: holes) were succesfully mirrored, but the thread features weren't (and as such, don't show up in Drafting, Thread Analysis, etc).

Is this how it's supposed to act, or am I doing something wrong?

How do you do an Assembly Symmetry and mirror data like threads, along with the geometry?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Abe - so you are right. I am on the same version. I tried in R15 SP5 - same results. If you think about it, catia makes a dumb solid upon symmetry. The result for drafting would be a hole with no knowledge.

Regards,
Derek

So, to handle this in Drafting, would you suggest just writing a note indicating that the holes are symmetrical to the other part and leave it at that?

Or possibly "fake" the threads in Drafting by assigning a thread callout to the holes?

Assuming the symmetry is obvious, then specifying (xN) where N is the number of holes with the same thread specs, would be enough.

ABE - we do not issue tool drawings to manufacturing, the software in manufacturing uses pattern recognition and generates the appropriate program from hole sizes.

Regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back