Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Balloon settings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_Haymore

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2016
US
Hello,

I have run into an error of inconvenience and haven't found out why or how to fix it in my searches. I currently have my drafting standards for parts list set to "no stub" on the callouts. When I place these callouts manually, the settings are fine and they are created with no stubs. However, if I use the auto balloon function, all of the callouts are created WITH stubs. Is there simply another setting for auto balloons that is different? If so, I have not been able to find it. Anyone else know?

Attached are a picture of my current customer default settings and a picture showing both manual and auto generated callouts.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a9dffc66-b5d9-432c-879b-9ea477f7a842&file=pic.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can't easily find a setting in Customer defaults, try to do a search on the value.
In this case you can use the value of the stub. Sort column "value" and the setting can be found if it exists.
Maybe it's a setting in the template file. Try to search in the template file in drafting preferences.

Thanks for the tip, I did try to search with a list of different key words, and I still cannot find any settings that seem to effect the auto balloon function.

I don't think that is possible with the Auto balloon function.
By default the balloons need to point to the component. Without a stub it will not be possible to which component they belong.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

Thank you for your response nutace, but I believe you have leader arrow confused with the stub. "No stub" means that the arrow from the balloon goes directly to the part, while "with stub" means there is first a small horizontal component from the balloon before the arrow goes directly to the part. You can see the difference in the .jpg I attached to my original post. So even if the setting "no stub" is selected, there is still an arrow that indicates which component it belongs to.

Hi B,

You are right..I guess I was not fully awake yet [sleeping]

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

@B_Haymore

What you need to do to make this work is:
1. Set the setting in the customer defaults as you have found.
2. You then need to create a new drawing file based on the 'Blank' template (should be at the bottom of the File -> New dialog, if not turn it on in the defaults, search for 'show blank templates').
3. So you should then have a new empty sheet and all the defaults for it are based on your customer defaults.
4. Create a new parts list. Customise it, so it is laid out the way you need.
5. RMB the parts list and select 'Save As Template', then save the files to the ...\UGII\table_files folder.
This creates a new template file for your parts list.
6. You can the go either of two ways to then use that template.
6A. Add a new palette (Preferences -> Palettes & add the tables.pax in ...\UGII\table_files folder. This then adds a new palette for all the tables that come with NX and will add your new one on the end.
Drag & drop from that new palette into a new drawing and then when you auto balloon, the balloons will have no stub.
6B. Edit the template name for parts lists in the defaults and set the setting to point to the new template file you saved (Customer Defaults -> Drafting -> Annotation -> Parts Lists -> Template Name).
This will then use your new template as the default when clicking on the Insert Parts Lists button.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX3 to NX11 with almost every MR (24versions)

Forgot to mention that, the preference for what you are after only exists as a customer default, so what I detailed above is the only way to get what you want.
Once a parts list is defined, the setting for the stub cannot be changed, so it has to be created as a new template to define the callout settings.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX3 to NX11 with almost every MR (24versions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back