Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoPIPE question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nounoue

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2014
US
I am modeling a piping using AutoPIPE. There are several rod hangers. Each rod hanger had a gap of 100 in. Is there any easy way to perform the dynamic analysis with keeping these gaps?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nounoue,
You wrote:"Each rod hanger had a gap of 100 in."
Are you real sure you meant to write "100 inches"?
Maybe, just maybe you made a slight mistake.

prognosis: Lead or Lag

pennpiper, Thanks for replying, according to the ISO's there are 100 inches gaps, when I am running the model, I get an uplift of almost 40 Lbs at some of these rods.

As per Isometrics 100 inches gap. AND you still have not asked the guy who put it. You did not doubt it? You simply went ahead with it to do analysis?

Thank you everyone for your feedbacks. I actually figure it out. based my discussion with the site, I was told that there are no gaps above the pipe, which contradict with the drawings. I performed dynamic analysis and found that some rod hangers are experiencing uplift forces due to seismic. since rods don't take compessive loads, we decided to remove one support, and modify three rods to guides, since there is space to make guides at these locations.

Thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back