Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Axial Impeller/Propeller

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarySandStorm

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2009
ZA
Hi there, I have been researching this for some time now since the company i work for only recently stepped into the realm of the Axial flow pump and i was the lucky one to be given the task of theory gathering lol. BUT All the books and papers I have gone through use example of curved blades with some angle of attack, using aerofoil or Bernoulli theory. So I would like to know what to use when assuming the propeller blades are flat(not curved) at an angle to predict to extent the performance. IF at all possible?

Any light or direction on this would be so Great :D
Thx

Gareth Sampson:- Cheap W*ore oops! I mean Intern.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assume the impeller/propeller to be a perfect screw. Pitch times velocity (rpm) times area equals volume. Multiply slip factors (pulled from thin air), and you have flow rate against negligable head. In short, a good CFD run would probably shed better results, but knowing max capacity is worth at least a lunch.

Mike Cool
Mechanical Engineer
American Stainless Pumps, Inc.
Los Angeles California USA

If you are trying to get your mind around axial pumps, read this thread.

thread237-262245

Don't pay any attention to any of the back and forth, just the technical information. I think you will learn a lot.

rmw

Thanks for the replies. The Info is very helpfull :D

Nice to see someone drinking water at work instead of the usual coffee.. hhmm water? oohh eerr! yeah sure, this some gooood "water" he he he

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back