Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Axis to axis move with compass

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossly

Automotive
Sep 22, 2003
US
I am looking to move data using the compass, like the axis to axis in GSD. It is dumb data and I don't want a trail in my tree. Is there a way to do this using the compass?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I will combine both respones.
#1. I am looking to have a way so to move it with out knowing/inputting the second angle orientation. Just like the GSD function.

#2. The SNAP you are referring to is in Product, I am looking to move curves in a catpart. Is there a SNAP in catpart?

Are your curves in a Geo-set??? Can't you select the everything in the geo set and join everything together, with 'create datum' on, that way the join has history, then do an axis to axis, seems like thats easier than trying to use the compass...

Everything is in a geo-set but all the curves are not together. The axis to axis works well, just looking for a way to cut out the slow translation and then the follow up slow deleting of the original curves. I think my quest for a compass solution is out.

Putting a jab a catia, UG has a repostition function that allows a copy or move, not that I want to return to UG.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Once you have everything joined within your geo-set (shown as a join, with create datum highlighted).. Copy your join (with out create datum highlighted) and paste special as result (RMB). Then copy that 'curve' (which will be everything) into a new geo-set and delete the first geo-set.

Rossly, if you are dealing with GSD items (surface,curves, points, planes...) Turn on Create Datum, Turn on No Keep Mode. Window select all items, apply the axis to axis move, translate, rotate, scale...
This will move all data selected to the new location and keep the original name, colour, layer, geometric set...

Regards,
Derek

DBBeziare,
I was looking for a compass solution, that seems to be quicker when using lots of lines or surfs. For the trans, rot, and axis to axis I turn on Create Datum but the original curves are still in the tree, you mentioned No Keep Mode, where is that? All I get is hide/show originals in axis to axis?

Ross.

No Keep mode is 3 icons over to the right of Create Datum, it looks like a little plus sign in the middle of a surface.
You can use the distance and angle functions of the compass for simple moves. More complicated moves it will be difficult to lock axis tips from one to another.

Why are you moving the data inside of a CATPart and not moving a CATPart inside of a Product?

Regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back