Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ball joint design

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngPhil

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2009
Hi,

I'm currently designing a ball joint. It will be used on a medical device, which means that it needs to be stainless steel and has to be sterilized frequently. This implies: no plastics, no springs, no lubricants, no sealed housing, etc.

I would like to achieve an adjustable holding force. Basically, using a lever of sorts, the clamping force should be changed thereby gradually changing the friction on the ball joint and changing its holding force. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to adjust the force so that the ball joint will "slip" (ie, adjust) at a desired applied force.

I'm worried that a stainless on stainless design will be fairly "on/off" in the amount of friction. What are the characteristics of stainless on stainless in that regard? Are there surface coatings / finishes that will help? Is there a good mechanism to allow variable force?

Thanks,
Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your main problem is going to be wear on the sliding surfaces. With more force, there will be more wear. There are plenty of combinations in use today of materials in sliding medical devices. Any motion preserving spinal implants come to mind.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back