Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Question 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

noel0589

Electrical
Sep 23, 2004
US
Hi all,

I'm new and have some basic questions which I would appreciate if some people could answer.
How would I be able to tell a centrifugal, reciprocating, or rotary pump from each other?
Also, what are basic differences and applications of each?
Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

head for the localy libary and borrow a book on pumps, it's marvelous what a bit of self study can do for you.

Naresuan University
Phitsanulok
Thailand

1. Their external appearances differ.
2. Their behaviors differ:
- A rotary pump, of which there are dozens of subtypes, behaves like a constant current source.
- A reciprocating pump behaves like a constant current square wave source, e.g. a charge pump. Multicylinder recips behave like a polyphase charge pump.
- A centrifugal pump, of which there are several subtypes, behaves like a constant voltage source at low flows, and like a constant current source at low pressures. In between, where its best efficiency lies, it sort of transitions between the asymptotes.

All are parametrically linear in flow with shaft speed, to a first approximation.

In general,
- Rotary pumps are used at modest pressures, where uniform flow is an important characteristic.
- Recips are used to develop high pressures. Their output has a lot of 'AC' in it.
- Centrifugals are used where a compliant source can be tolerated or is a good thing. They are generally cheap, durable, and dirt- tolerant.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back