Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

BB5 pump with side suction and side discharge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemvig

Mechanical
Oct 5, 2010
US

For a BB5 (Barrel type) is it possible to have a side suction and side discharge nozzles instead of a top suction top discharge.

If possible are there any limitations or concerns that needs to be taken care.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BB5 pumps have centre line supports at the side and at both end of the barrel. This construction make it not possible to have side/side nozzle.

Most reputable OEMS will provide you with a barrel type pump with nozzles and flanges to suit your requirements. Large multistage barrel pumps for the likes of boiler feed, water injection etc are of the 'engineered' variety that is to say not mass produced so can be custom made including the hydraulics.

While it is technically possible to engineer a side-side BB5, the issue of adequate supports is not a trivial thing. I am sure it can be done but I personally have never seen a request for one.

I have designed BB5 pumps with 45 deg suction nozzles (and one time a bottom suction nozzle) for power station boiler feed.

OTOH I've done plenty of side-side BB2 pumps so why not try a BB5 ?

Point taken Pumponly & Bradshsi re side nozzles. By side nozzles I didn't necessarily mean at 9 & 3 o'clock. We were supplied 3off replacement 11.5 mW units for installation recently with delivery nozzles set at 45 deg to the horizontal to match original pipework geometry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back