Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beam calculation software 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

atorcell

Mechanical
May 18, 2000
IT
need software for calculation of stresses and reactions on some beam assembly (not the easy beam on two supports..). preferibly distributed for free or shareware.<br>Does anyone have suggestions?<br>thanks to all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, this will suit your needs.....<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>Nigel Waterhouse<br><a href=mailto:n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com>n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>A licensed aircraft mechanic and graduate engineer. Attended university in England and graduated in 1996. Currenty,living in British Columbia,Canada, working as a design engineer responsible for aircraft mods and STC's.

Need any help using it or with beam analysis just ask! <p>Nigel Waterhouse<br><a href=mailto:n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com>n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>A licensed aircraft mechanic and graduate engineer. Attended university in England and graduated in 1996. Currenty,living in British Columbia,Canada, working as a design engineer responsible for aircraft mods and STC's.

Thanks for your reply Nigel, this is a small and quite easy finite element code. I knew that Fem analysis would solve my problem (i currently work with fem analysis in my company), but i was looking for something much easier and faster just to determine reactions and draw bending moment diagram on a small beam assembly. <br>hope you have more suggestions. <br>thanks anyway

E-mail me your problem ,and I will solve it, simply, with Cadre and send you the file. <p>Nigel Waterhouse<br><a href=mailto:n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com>n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>A licensed aircraft mechanic and graduate engineer. Attended university in England and graduated in 1996. Currenty,living in British Columbia,Canada, working as a design engineer responsible for aircraft mods and STC's.

don't have 'one problem'; just need a tool to calculate reactions on supports and draw bending moment diagrams easily and fast.<br>thx bye

thx john.. but what if i'm not dealing with just one straight beam and have an assembly of beams with corners and stuff?

Then I think that you have a problem.<br>You need a frame analysis package and the two that spring to mind are Cadre and GRAPE. Both can be downloaded from the internet an both will take you some time to get used to Also GRAPE will not give you the BM diagram. I have don't know about CADRE. I have only seen this facility on expensive programs.<br>

I have used Cadre Pro extensively.&nbsp;&nbsp;It gives BM and SF diagrams, it is very simple to use and gives good results.<br><br>You can draw any model you like 3d or otherwise in Autocad and DXF it into CAdre, this makes construction the model quick and easy. <p>Nigel Waterhouse<br><a href=mailto:n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com>n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>A licensed aircraft mechanic and graduate engineer. Attended university in England and graduated in 1996. Currenty,living in British Columbia,Canada, working as a design engineer responsible for aircraft mods and STC's.

You may also try the link below: it is an online tool that runs from browser's window.<br>Only quite simple beams are treated for the time being, but will grow... <p>prex<br><a href=mailto:motori@xcalcs.com>motori@xcalcs.com</a><br><a href= calculation software for direct usage on-line from your browser's window

After some intensive evaluation I am using Beam 2D from Orand System ( which is a very easy tool to analyse quit complex straight beam configurations with multiple loads (self weight included!)and cross sections (both unlimited). Is is not freeware, but Can$400 not expensive.

I also use CadreLite ( for US$92 which is better for frames or 3D structures, but no so easy to use.
Juerg Hoelzle
juerg.hoelzle@ruag.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back