Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beam design

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRScan2003

Civil/Environmental
Nov 5, 2003
CA
I need to design a 25 ton crane and beam assembly. it will get fastened to a roof column on the side of a factory interior. The other end is to be linked from the a roof truss or something above capable of supporting any ideas how to begin.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you need to be more specific. Are you talking about installing a monorail beam or a crane runway system or a crane?

What type of application? Warehouse or Steel Mill? Used once a week or 24/7?

if you really do not know how to begin, i would advice you to hire a design or design and fabrication according to your specifications.
such appliance has to be designed and build according to some recognized code which will define the safety factors and other important parameters that will lead to safe and efficient product.
zvivik

Thanks for the site information. I am trying to design it for 24/7 use and it is to be a single w beam used as a track and main supporting member or beam i am just not sure when breaking down the applied forces how many time or where exactly along the 5 meter beam i should anticapate and design the greatest load to be or if i should just assume the maximum could exist any where along it. I would like to see some cad drawings if anyone may have some ready. Cheers
Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back