Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Becoming a S.E or P.E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangeman

Civil/Environmental
Nov 20, 2014
US
I recently graduated from college with a M.S in Civil Engineering with a focus in structural. I have recently been offered a job as an assistant bridge inspector at an inspecting firm. My job would entail me to travel to project sites and inspect the bridge and write inspection reports.

My question is would the experience in this job translate over to the experience needed to take the SE or PE exam? Thanks for the suggestion/advice!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would not consider inspection as engineering experience. I think you can translate some of that experience initially, but I would want to see engineering judgments made. When you write the report, how do you qualify the acceptability of the existing structure? Once you determine how much steel is left after corrosion, do you calculate it's capacity (probably not)? Ideally, you would work under a repair engineer that guides you through field inspections but also includes you in how that field information is translated into usable course of action.

I'd say check your state(s) requirements that you want to get licensed in. Some have specific definitions of what qualifies and most (all?) require references from other engineers attesting to your engineering ability. 4 years of inspections likely wont cut it.

Professional and Structural Engineer (ME, NH)
American Concrete Industries

This is a tricky question. I think the reality is that it is good engineering experience and it would help you in your career. But, as far as filling out the forms that allow you to sit for the PE, it probably does not. Or, only a small portion of it does.

They're really looking for the job where you are performing engineering design calculations and making engineering decisions. You can probably still claim that some of your time qualifies. But, not all of it.

Well, "inspection" can mean different things. It could mean just inspecting the integrity (or even just presence) of bolts or welds or it could mean a whole formal structural assessment of the bridge or its components. If it's the later, under the guidance of a good PE, then it could be a professionally valuable and rewarding experience. If it's the former, and you have an MS in engineering, then it would probably soon get boring for you. But even that's a foot in the door into the industry and since it's under the direct supervision of a PE then it should still count towards your PE unless your state specifically carves it out of their requirements.

Even if I stayed as an inspector for 4 years and I could take the exam, I know it'll be hard for me to pass since I won't have much experience with AASTHO and design experience. However, I was thinking this will be a good opportunity for me to gain valuable field experience. I would at least be able to see what I have learn inside the classroom out in the real-world.

My ultimate goal is to get become a PE/SE. Would it be bad if I work as an inspector for a year and then find a design engineering position, where I could gain design experience for the exam? Thanks for the suggestion.

>>>Would it be bad if I work as an inspector for a year and then find a design engineering position, where I could gain design experience for the exam?<<<

Nope, nothing wrong with that and don't rule out the possibility that the inspection time wouldn't count. At least have the board tell you that; don't assume that it won't. That said, there's no need to gain "field experience" in the manner you describe. Unless you're doing the designs long-distance any design job I've ever seen includes a component of field experience.

Tough question.

One way of thinking would be that you need as much broad experience as you can get before you take the PE exam....not just for taking the exam, but to properly prepare you to be a licensed professional engineer. Being a bridge inspector would not give you the broad, nor in-depth knowledge and experience, that a PE needs to have.

On the other hand, I've seen folks who have gone to work for municipalities, or the DOT, or pre-engineered building manufacturers, and only gotten a very narrow experience history over 4 or 5 years, sat for the PE exam, passed it, and are now licensed professional engineers.

So I guess I'm saying it works both ways.

With either case of experience, you will need to know when you don't know enough to be designing or taking responsibility for something, even though you will be a PE. You will need to know your area of expertise and knowledge and be careful when determining if an engineering task is appropriate for you or not. For example, I'm a consulting structural engineer, but, if someone brought me a high rise building to design, that's something that I have not worked with and would send the project to someone with high rise building design experience.

Hope this helps.

Orangeman - Here are a few suggestions for your consideration:

1. Depending on if, or when, you took the FE exam, the time required to get an M.S. engineering degree may count as qualified experience for the PE. Check your state requirements.

2. If you obtain an SE license, get the (separate) PE license, too. This comes up frequently on Engineering Tips. Many states do not require or recognize an SE license. If you have only the SE and want obtain a license in one of those states you will probably be required to apply and take the test for the PE. This could be in the distant future when, regardless of experience, taking the test is the last thing you want to do.

3. If you accept the assistant bridge inspector job, don't work there for an arbitrary one year (or any other predetermined time). Continue looking for a job more appropriate for your credentials. When it comes along... take it.

[idea]
[r2d2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back