Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Becoming better at tolerancing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Those books are good if you are looking to lear about tolerance stackups. you might also look into a GD&T book as well to better understand how it applies. I recomend "Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing" by David A. Madsen. I use that book all the time....

Now as far as getting the best understanding of Tolerancing. I think your best bet would be to take a few classes or attend a few seminars on the subjects. Most of them have book fees included in the course fee and they can teach you much more than just reading. They also allow you to ask questions which help many learn. I believe SAE is offering a series of classes in a few months involving tolerance stackups, I think these would be valuable to attend if you want a good understanding.

Just like any language practice makes perfect:

I would buy the ASME Y14.5M specification and the two work books that GDT_GUY suggested. I have taken two classes from Al Neuman and his books are straight forward.

Geometric Tolerancing Stacks and Analysis Workbook, includes solutions-$46.00 ea

or

Geometric Tolerancing Applications with Stacks Workbook, includes solutions - $46.00 ea

Both are by Al Neuman, Technical Consultants Inc. and may be purchased at:
GDT_GUY

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

"I would like to learn more about tolerancing from the perspective of design for: functionality, manufacturing, reliability, and cost."

1. Go out in the shop, watch them manufacture and assemble stuff, and listen to what they bitch about.
2. Go out in the field, or examine the stuff that comes back under warranty.
3. Synthesize an arbitrary part or two, and send it out for quotes. Change a tolerance, and do it again.
4. Pay attention to the quotes that come back on real parts. When you see something that looks odd, investigate, e.g. call up and ask what you could do to get a better price, etc.
5. Draw up some arbitrary parts with tolerances representative of what you specify. Then try to manufacture them yourself, to your tolerances.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sage advice, Mike Halloran.
Books, texts, and seminars are great, but lessons learned from getting chewed on by shop bosses, or by and getting parts in that don't fit right stick with you forever.

You can also learn a lot from having an experienced checker look at your drawings. Especially if they have a reasonable amount of practical experience you'll soon start to learn!

Where are you going to get an experienced checker? All the ones I've met over the years have to be retired or dead now, and nobody has been hiring replacements for decades.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back