Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEST GRAPHICS CARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojouner

Industrial
Apr 26, 2003
NZ
i'm doing some research for my company and was wondering what people thought about the matrox millenium 512 parhelia as a CAD video card .
I understand that a lot of graphics orintated (?) companies use these cards because of there stability and for the fact that you can use up to 3 monitors on the card !
DOes any body use them for solidworks ?
are these cards supported by solidworks?
thanks guys

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do not know if the patches work for the 9000 series, because the do not have tha same core (think they have a spiffed up core of the radeon 8000 series, R250)

Download rivatuner with radeon conversion patches,
and download a set of firegl drivers.

Apply the patch to the drivers.

Heres a link. :

If you have problems figuring it out, post again, and Ill help you out.

If the bean counters ar hard at it, mabe you should check out the nvidia cards, lots of themhave the same possibilities, with a gaming core used for workstation graphics.

Good luck.

To clarify further about radeon series:

Core name: R250 = radeon 8000 to 9200 ?
R300 = Radeon 9500 to 9700 pro
R350 = Radeon 9600 to 9800 pro

do not have full control on the R250 line... :)

sojouner here
You know how I said that I hoped that my comp would soon die .
Well it did i booted it up this morning and loged in and started swx opened up a file started to discuss somthing with a co worker went back to my comp and the machine was off. (!?!>?!?!?) turned it back on same thing happened (!?!?!?!?!?) tried again about 5 mins after bootup and log in switches off (!?!?!?!?!?)
Go get the IT lady she has a play trying to get info off the comp reboots it 4+ times and then it decides to go "BANG" she jumps through the roof and my comp is dead""
now we might get to decent comps "yea right "
jst an update for you all (I shouldn't laugh) but it is ironic!! hehe

Hey, G1DESIGN: Actually, I am a naturalized US citizen ex-Brit myself :) Lived in Hull for a while too.. Did my HND at the Poly.

No offense intended. I sympathize with the time issue too. Just the line breaks in your response made it quicker to digest your (valuable) input.

So, sojouner, did you loose all the hardware, disk and all? Similar thing happened to my home system a year ago. Power supply blew (literally - nasty smell and all) and fried everything. Cost me a y#$t load of cash to get all the grandkids' photos recovered off the disk - Grandma insisted.

Anyway, if you are starting from scratch, please keep us informed of your new hardware configuration and performance. It will be useful data to see how it performs since you are going in with a lots of info' from us idiots to guide you.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

Further research on ATI 9500 non pro with firegl x1 hacked drivers shows:

The problems I had seem to be related to the enabling of antialiasing.

with AA turned off, no problems occured, and performance is very good. Hopefully future drivers will enable antialiasing, because the graphics quality is the best i have ever seen with 6x enabled.

Does anyone else use antialiasing? Post your experienses.

Anyone else with experience with quadro hacked or firegl hacked drivers ? Dual screen setups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back