Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best motivational quotes 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

epoisses_

Petroleum
Feb 7, 2017
FR
Heard in team meeting this morning, when one of the managers assigned one more responsibility to an already overloaded team member:
"This doesn't take any time. It's just a state of mind." [bow]

Can anyone top that?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From a Salada tea bag that my boss copied and enlarged and hung on his office wall, "The problem is not the problem. The problem is how you deal with the problem".

Claude Shannon supposedly said, "Don't try to solve a problem before its time."

An example of this is Einstein's futile attempt to solve the Grand Unified Theory that consumed the rest of his life.

Someone invented the JFET 13 yrs before even BJTs could be built. Yes, he got the patent and a place in history, but that's pretty much it.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

This came up at a professional development session

URL]

--
JHG

I only quit two jobs in my life. The first when I was in high school and worked in a meat market (I still have the scars to prove it). My boss (the store owner), was a great guy. He used to work years ago as a draftsman for the Studebaker Automobile company down in Indiana, but after they closed he ended up buying this meat market/grocery store up in Northern Michigan. Anyway, I worked for him for almost 3 years until just after I graduated from high school. Like I said, he was a great boss, but he had one problem. He was a periodic alcoholic. By periodic, I mean he was stone cold sober 11 months out of the year, but each year his wife would go down to Indiana and spend a month with her family and during those 30 days he would drink himself stupid every day, and when he was drunk he was not a very good boss. He wouldn't show-up at the store, he'd miss the payroll, suppliers would come in and he wouldn't be there and they wouldn't leave the orders without him signing the invoices. We would get angry customers and they would take it out on the help. So about three weeks into his latest binge I quit and got a job across the street in the meat department of the big chain grocery store. Once I started college, my summer jobs were down-state, working as a draftsman at a manufacturing company.

The second job I quit was the job I took after college. After 14 years, and after being introduced to CAD (this was in the late 70's), I left for a much better job working for the company that developed and sold us the CAD system. It was great company to work for and the people, including my boss, were great, but this was an opportunity that I just couldn't pass up and it proved to be the right move.

Actually I did quit one other job, sort of. Two years ago (next week) I retired, after 35+ years, from that job with the CAD company.

Also note that I've never been fired or laid-off from a job, although I think I did come close a couple of time ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

"Your failure to plan ahead is not my emergency"

... usually when someone calls asking if I can do something the next day and I'm already up to my ears ... or on a job site nowhere near home base, like right now ...

I once worked at a place that threw great parties, and kept a stock of party supplies onsite.

So I'm at my desk trying to fix an errant spreadsheet and getting really tired of it, and I say to no one in particular, "I could sure use a beer right now."

The Big Boss was within earshot. A few seconds later, he slapped an ice cold bottle of Heineken in my hand and said, "Drink this, and then get back to work."

I loved that job.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Here a few items that I had on display in my office (before I retired):

Lazlo_01_ldmng8.jpg

Kettering_01_uk9o8p.jpg

Fudge_Factor_01_fhb2xo.jpg

And having to deal with engineering software for over 35 years, I occasionally provided my own words of wisdom:

Baker_01_ycybpv.jpg

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

There is a problem with quotes just like with anything that is easy to abuse: they present a solution(a perspective) to a problem you do not have or currently is not of interest to you. It is like taking selfies, you just do it even if you do not really need it. So if you need a quote, get a quote or go ahead come up with one. If you do not need one, do not look for one. If you collect them, do so for future reference, say you are a writer or a speaker and you might need them later. Politicians do that all the time and it works. Otherwise it is just junk that falsely promises you that you have the best of perspectives.

ijr

There are known knowns , Known unknowns, and unknown unknowns. But this...well its a whole new category!

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back