Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boiler feed pump for ag water?! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

noteng1

Civil/Environmental
Oct 8, 2007
US
Hello,

My client has a Sulzer HPT Multistage Barrel Casing
Boiler Feed Pump that he wants to use to pump screened agricultural ditch water with (2km @ 9 m head). I have no experience with these industrial pumps, but at first glance it seems like overkill and a potential maintenece nightmare. Any advice would be welcome!

TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the 9m head listed is all that is required, then the first check I would suggest is to calculate the wasted power from using this pump versus one that produces only the necessary pressure. ( I am assuming that a boiler feed water pump would produce several hundred meters head )

The cost of the additional power will most likely more than pay for a new pump.

The existing pump could be brought into closer line with the required pressure by destaging it; but again, I would expect the cost of tear down, modifications, and reassembly would go a long way toward paying for a new low pressure pump.

Will need more definition of the required conditions to get more detailed.

It would need only 1 bowl and then a slower RPM motor. I'll second rzrbk on cost, but if they have some mechanical abilities and labor is free, go ahead.

I am going to make a comment without looking up and researching the pump. There are pumps designed for this type of pumping service with loose fits and tolerances due to the nature of what might be entrained in ditch water. This one doesn't sound like one of them. If this pump has tight clearances and fits plan on lots of maintenance as you suspect.

Also, pumps designed for pumping 'dirty' fluids normally have a higher pedigree metallurgy. Check this one with respect to the ability of the pump materials to withstand wear and abrasion.

rmw

If it's anything like the ag applications around here (South Louisiana), there will often be a vertical outlet to the piping with some sort of screen or chicken wire at the mouth to keep things out of it, but to also aerate the water as it passes through (for flooding crawfish ponds). I'm just trying to picture what happens when the farmer insists on using the pump and several hundred feet of head erupts from the mouth of the outlet. Have you ever been to the Bellagio?

I have yet to begin to wrap my mind around pumping ditch water with a pump designed to pump highly treated deaerated water.

Lump me in with the "bad idea" chorus.

Without knowing any more about it, I'd want to know what the pipe is made out of, and what size it is - 2 km of pipe can have one heck of a lot of friction loss, maybe you need all that head.

Is this a joke ?

You want to take one of the most expensive, highest quality, higest head feedwater pumps made in the world and use it to move agricultural water with 9m head ?

Is your client also in the habit of taking engines from 747s and fitting them into golf carts ?

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back