Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broken View problems in MDT6 SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITbod

Computer
Jul 20, 2005
GB
Hello. We are experiencing a problem with dimensions of drawings containing broken views. I wonder if anyone here may have a solution. The problem is on new & existing drawings. When you open up a drawing with a broken length on it the dimension changes before your eyes from the overall length to some smaller length that seems to define explanation.

Here's what we are doing to create a test drawing that demonstrates the problem.

Launch MDT. Draw a circle, profile the sketch, extrude to length (say 2metres). Go to Layout tab, right click to add a new view, select broken view and place onto the layout select the vetex at both ends, press enter. Add dimension for the overall length. Save the file. Close MDT. All is well so far.

If you open MDT first THEN open the drawing the dimension (2metres) is displayed correctly.

If you close all instances of MDT that are running & launch the drawing & program simultaneously by double-clicking the actual file icon from its home directory (or desktop or whatever) - ie NOT launching MDT first - the value of 2meters is displayed momentarrily then recalculates itself as a shorter length - say 1.89m - before your very eyes.

Viewing the file from VoloView yields either two results - on some systems the file opens with the correct dimension displayed, on other systems the file is reported as being an "Unrecognised file format"....

Our company has been using MDT with drawings with Broken Views for years but no-one remembers this happening before....

Anyone else experienced this? Our technical support company have referred the problem to AutoDesk..... I thought I owuld try this approach as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back