CABLE Connecttion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakildor

Civil/Environmental
Jun 19, 2003
US
Hi everybody,
Can anyone tell me how to model the joint of a cable stayed bridge at the top of the supporting tower where cable rests on a rolling saddle at the top of the tower.

This joint should transfer only (not horizontal load and bending moment)the vertical load from cable to tower

SHAKILDOR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Masonmenos,
Thanks for response,....can you please be more specific in your suggestion...simply making the frame connecting the tower top as cable still transfer horizontal component of cable to tower which creates a great moment at the base of the tower....so please advice

shakildor, I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you or not. You can do both a) draw your cable and assign it tension only if you wish and b) assign Frame moment releases and/or shear releases in any direction at either end of your cable

If you assign frame releases such that the frame joint is 'free' in the horizontal direction(s), then there should be no resulting moment at the base from horizontal movement of the tower.

Does this answer your question? If not, please clarify further and explain why assignment of releases does not solve this problem for you

Hi Masomenos,
Thanks ......it solved my problem.I relesed moment at both ends in frames representating cables and i released moments and shear in one end only of the frame representating tower

Shakil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back