Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calcul/measurement of coax impedance ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toulouse

Electrical
Jan 29, 2003
BR
Hi,

I wonder how I can simply find the carracteristic impedance of a coax cable ?

I wanted to calculate it knowing that Z0= SQRT(L/C) with SQRT=> square root ; L,C: lumped elements...

But I've another problem... it's that I don't know the dielectric material so I can't find Epsilon_r !!

Can I get some help ?

Thks.

Thomas K.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The classical theory that the a cable of specific impedance should be terminated by the same impedance should be applicable here. You ought to be able to tell if a 50 ohm termination results in:

> no reflections
> maximum power transfer

TTFN

if you are familiar with electronics, then you should already be familiar with identifying the various insulations used in the industry.

if your cable is not properly documented then you should obtain a better grade.

dealing with microstrip implies that you need high performance cable, one that is properly tested and doc'd per IRStuff take the advice and report back what you find.

Hi,

I don't know if you have access to an HP8510C vector network analyzer (or something similar.)

But if you do, I would attach the cable to one of the ports and look at the Smith chart of S11 (or S22). If you see a dot in the middle of the chart, then you know that the coax is 50ohms, because the port impedance of the analyzer is 50ohms. You could even go to Time Domain mode and check out the reflection coefficient. (Time Domain mode simply does an FFT on the frequency response.) If the reflection is near 0, then the coax is 50ohms. If the Smith chart or the Time Domain modes give you other information, you could figure out the exact impedance from that.

Z_coax = Zo * ( ( 1 + |gamma| ) / ( 1 - |gamma| ) )

where Zo = 50 ohms.

HTH,
Matt

Measure the diameter of the dielectric (D) and the diameter of the inner conductor (d) and use the formula:

Zo=138*Log10(D/d) and divide this by the square root of the dielectric constant of the dielectric.

Most coaxial cables have a polythyene dielectric which has a dielectric constant of 2.25

Greg Chenco

Just be careful about your assumption that the dielectric constant is 2.25. Look at the dielectric, if it is white, then it is likely not polyethylene, but either teflon, or foamed teflon. If solid teflon, then E=2. If it is soft and white, it is most likely a fomaed dielectric and E can range from 1.3-1.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back