Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating HP from 1/4 mile time and weight... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrehy

Automotive
Aug 29, 2003
AE
MG Maestro 1/4 mile speed is 12.48 sec and 127 mph - I estimate the weight to be 2200lb.

Please can someone give me a hp calculation and workings out.

Thanks

Regards...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try they have both a hp from Trap speed and a more sophisticated "drag strip simulator". While I haven't dynoed my car, the "drag strip simulator" gave surprisingly accurate results when I compared it to my timeslips and used the stock hp from my nearly stock motor. Worth a look.

Have Fun,

Sam

time to whip out the old "dream wheel " from the 70's....

surprisingly close. Isky, Bell Auto Parts, Automark all printed them.

at 2200 pounds and 112 mph it shows 260 hp.

The et compared to the mph shows to me I think that this is a result of the front wheel drive....the car might have the potential...at that mph at least, to have a lot better 60 foot times and run in the 11's even with FWD.

The mph is what the clocks show...scepticism aside...but are the clocks correct and was that just on one run or a more 'realistic" best of 2 or 3?

This MG Maestro has over 500bhp now...

it does a 1/4 mile in under 11.9 secs

also, a Rover 200 style car, also owned by AN-racing, has done the 1/4 mile in the low 12's with about 465bhp

i've used this formula with good success. If the car is properly geared (finishing the 1/4 mile 3-400 rpms past hp peak)you should be able to get a fairly accurate result using this:

hp= (mph x .00426) cubed x weight

this would result to about 350 hp

i like this formula because it doesn't take into account reaction time or e.t. which vary much more than mph does
if you make a disasterous run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back