Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating Refrigerant charge........

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamLoch

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2008
US
When working out the sub-cooled liquid density, do you use the sub-cooled temperature or the saturated pressure liquid density. For example: R134a at 300psig has SCT of 160ºF and liquid density of 61.74 lb./ft^3. However, it is sub-cooled 10ºF. Do I then look up the liquid density at 150º which is 63.81lb./ft^3?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MintJulep,

To determine the required refrigerant charge for the system I assume a column of liquid in the liquid line. The liquid line would have a fixed volume. To calculate the weight of charge in the liquid line, do I use the sub-cooled temperature density or the saturated temperature density?

I understand the general requirement for sub-cooling. I guess what I am trying to ask is: Does the density of the refrigerant change as it sub-cooled? Is the density of liquid refrigerant at the saturation point less than the density of the liquid when it is sub-cooled?

When liquid refrigerant is sub-cooled before entering the metering device the refrigeration effect per unit mass of capacity is increased because of the decrease in flash gas and a slight increase in density

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back