Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calendar from Excel Data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gouveia

Mechanical
Jul 21, 2003
US
I have a list of jobs with due dates in an excel file. I want to take the data and make it into a normal looking Monthly calendar. I can find lots of templates for excel calendards that look good. But my question is how to integrate the two.

My first thought is to use the LOOKUP function. And that would appear to work, but I almost have to start over and make my own calendar. Is there a smarter way to do this?

I guess I am just wondering if anyone has already done this and could send me a sample I can modify. I did a quick search of the forums and the web, but did not find a ready made solution.

Thanks, M

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ihave never tried to do it, but you might be able to import the data into Outlook and have Outlook create the calender. Or you could just set up the tasks in Outlook and it give you what you want, Assumimng you don't have too much to retype.

I have wanted to do this for years and am surprised how difficult it is within MS Office, which appears to have the components but yet this task seems impossible.

Please let us know what you figure out, if you have any luck with it.

I can't give you a solution, but you can do

Insert->Object->Calender Control.

This will add ActiveX object to your sheet. How to use it further, I don't know. You can do some research on this. If you do, please don't forget to share your findings with us.

Ciao.

Sorry I don't have time to do this project, but I would use Outlook Calendar as my display mode. The Outlook Object model can be seen here and it's fairly easy if you've done any Office automation with VBA before.

Good Luck
johnwm

UK steam enthusiasts:

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I guess I need to clarify a little. YTes this is exactly what MSProject does, unfortunately I don't have it.

My preference would be to just have a second excel sheet in the same file with the calendar. Simple as possible really and completely separate from outlook. It would just use standard excel functions/formulas to update the second sheet.

flamby's idea of insert->Object->Calender Control sounds like a good idea. I guess I will have to find some free time and just make it myself. I will let everyone know what I figure out.

If you try to make the calendar function in Excel or any other Windows based program work, you will spend a lot of time. Also, you might run into the problem that Microsoft changes the ActiceX module and your code doesn't work in one year. This happen to me using calendar Active X in MS Access.

MS project doe s pretty good job with what you need and you should be able to pick up a legal version for $200.oo. If you hourly rate is $80 you can only spend 2 to 3 hours for a program that will be hard to keep yor software up-to-date every time Microsoft releases a new version of Excel, Calendar ActiveX and so on.

Copying you spreadsheets to MS project is easy.

Sometimes it is worth to spend some money.

I agree with you Raedle. This was more of just a small personal project than anything else.

I did create a preliminary versions for those of you who are interested. It lets you have up to three items happen on the same day and lets you choose any month to look at. Just need to make sure that you sort your projects by due date for the calendar to work.

I will post it at the following site for a month or so:

This is also something I have been trying to figure out for a while. The file you created is very close to what I need for my application. Can you describe how you did this or send me the macro associated with your file. I need to add times of the day and view additional months.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back