Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calibration requirement for Safety Relief valve, which is a part of Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

qdzung

Petroleum
Mar 14, 2014
VN
I am now confusing about Calibration requirement for Safety relief valve (SRV), which is a part of pressurized Package.

My opinion is the SRVs shall be calibrated at the construction site, so after that we are allowed to install SRVs on the vessel. Even SRVs have tested and certified at the manufacturer or at Package vendor's factory already.

However, Some people told me that the re-work is not required. I explained about the re-calibrated requirement after 5 (or few) years. But it seems that they were not convinced. They just want to save the construction cost.

Can anybody advise is there any code or company standard about that issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

qdzung,
I will try to make this simple. Your question is about:
"Safety relief valve (SRV), which is a part of pressurized Package"
and whether you should re-calibrate it (the SRV) in the field.

The first place you need to check is the paperwork (warranty) that came with the package. If there is no guidance there, then you need to call them and explain your question to them.

If you do not comply with the package unit suppliers guidelines you may void the warranty (if something fails) resulting in your company paying the full cost for replacement of the full package unit.

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

Pennpiper,
Thanks a lot. That is very good advice.

What should I do if the vendor said they already tested and not further action is required, but the local norm requests to calibrate the SRV again?
If the vendor set the SRV correctly, who will take response for the damage (e.g. somethings stuck in SRV) during transportation? So that is why I prefer to do the recalibration. The third party, who certifies the recalibration work, will take response in this case.

I have an experience with one Dryer package. The SRV of the package needs to calibrate again, with local approval. Even that package had been fully tested in factory.

Is this a hired in package, say a drier or compressor skid, that goes back to the owner when you're done with it, or a package that you're integrating into your plant? Who is accountable for the safety of the pressure vessels?

If it's someone else's hired skid and their accountability, then you might just want to see their setting/testing paperwork.

If it's going into your plant, I'd test it the same as any other new valve. It's part of your process now, the fact that it was assembled by someone else is not relevant. Packaged unit relief valves go onto our maintentance system and are tested/inspected by us both intially and periodically afterwards. If you are going to accept someone else's test, then make sure you have the documentation/processes in place to ensure that it's equivalent to your own, and that accepting someone else's test is allowed in your procedures.

Bitter experience tells me that the condition something leaves the factory gate is not necessarily the same state it arrives in.

Matt

The Vendor who built the Package probably bought a Pressure Relief Valve from their Vendor. Their Vendor had to Assemble and Test the PRV in accordance with ASME COde. This means there was a Certificate of Compliance Completed (probably a UV-1 Form if it is a Sec VIII Application). As a minimum, you should request a copy of the UV-1 Form for your records. However, I would recommend you contact your local jurisdiction regarding On-Site Testing Prior to Installation. My personal preference is t test the PRV for baseline data, but you are not required to do so unless the local jurisdiction mandates it. NBIC (National Board Inspection Code) Part 2, Para. 2.5.8, give recommended testing frequencies. I hope this is helpful.

JAC

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help.

I just want to share an experience for SRV in our project in Vietnam.
Actually, there is no Vietnamese code/standard request to calibrate SRV. However, the SRVs are installed on pressurized equipment, what is strictly supervise and test. During testing of pressurized equipment, the setpoint of SRVs shall be verified. If the setpoint of SRVs is not corrected, we had to take all the tests again.
So finally, we decided to calibrate (or re-calibrate) all the SRVs.

AGree for all..

Eventhough SRV was tested and calibrated by its manufacturer, we must obey the government jurisdiction which is to re calibrate again by third party on behalf of government body. So after that, they issued a certificate of SRV, and it can be legal to use in that country (government)

Regards,
ZA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back