Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAM: Automate "Coolant on" on new operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primoz32

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2009
SI
NX7.5 CAM

The problem: I must turn on the coolant for every operation that I create.

I would like to predefine that every new operation already has the "Coolant On" in the Start of Path Events. I dont want to force this in postprocessor, because sometimes i use different kind of cooling.

Is it possible to predefine this?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have a lot of options. If you use a different type of cooling you could define that as a different type of event and put in an "If else" statement in the processor. Something along the lines: IF type = XXX then output M8 Else Output M9

Or something along those lines

Or if you want, you could add it in manually to every start event you want the coolant on

you can do that.

you need some edit in your template´s ,
and you need to create a user defined evet.

Then you can have a standard M code (M8) or what ever in all new operation´s,
and you can switch between several M codé´s in a menu.

I can show you how to - if you wish...

lk

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1b738dd2-8b29-4747-b704-313336559f52&file=m_codes_cooling_as_text_menu.bmp
Hi lklo,

How have you customized, Start events M coolant etc on NXCAM?

it's interesting for different coolants and for external an internal coolant tool.

Thanks.

Iklo:

This is interesting. Please show me how you did this.

Is it possible that: you create a new event - cavity mill for example wich has coolant on active by default?

Is it possible to assign the coolant thru option to a specific tool that allow you to have this option?

Thank you!

There are multiple ways to do this. You can customize the post to output the coolant based on the operation or in NX you can assign the coolant UDE to the tool. Right click on the tool and select Object - Start Event and add the cooland UDE you want for that tool. Each time you use that tool the coolant code will be output.

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6.0.5.3

Thanks John,

That simple option, for assign the coolant to the tool

is great for me.

But this does not solve my problem. Everytime I open a new project, I have to define coolant and other events for every tool I import from library.

Is it a practise to have all your tools in the template? This aint going to work for me, because I have some 500 tools in the workshop.

Modify your tools in the library. then when you import them into a machining operation, the coolant will be set the way you want it.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I don't think the UDEs can be defined in the library. Looks like you will need to do something in the post. This will require some customization.

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6.0.5.3

You could make a template file of your tools. This saves you the hassle of having to enter them into the library. That way when you create a new setup all you have to do is copy your tools or tool carrier and paste them into your new file.

Still 500 tools is not that many if you wanted to enter them into your library. You could macro or Journal the process and be done in very little time. I did it with several thousand tools.

I guess I am a little confused as to what exactly you're trying to do.

You are trying to have a setup that switches between different cooling methods, and you alternate these methods by toggling off the traditional liquid coolant (M8)? And you want to control this through the tools you use, correct? The main goal being a reusable setup that has your tooling w/cooling toggle intact? [ponder]

If that is correct please let me know

When retrieveing library tools, you can add UDEs to all tools of the same type by assigning them to the tools in the library_dialogs.prt template part.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Hello Buckshott00,

What you mean with, "Still 500 tools is not that many if you wanted to enter them into your library. You could macro or Journal the process and be done in very little time. I did it with several thousand tools."

How can I do this? I load my tools in different machines three axis by custom templates. Is similar to add a journal.
I think.

Thanks.

I mean there are lots of ways of entering tools into the library. I did it with Excel and Access and copied and pasted in a whole library of end mills that was something like 10,000 tools long.

If you know the attributes of the tool, and how they are entered, you can enter things into your library very easily. If I only had 500 tools and I just wanted to crank them out, I would create a journal that generated the tools and saved them to the library, with the only input from me being attributes.

You can make a blank part file with your CAM pallets setup. I'm guessing that your tool carrier isn't a belt 500 holder spaces long. Just setup several carriers with the tools you use most.

I think UG allows you 32 pockets per carrier, and you can have multiple tools per pocket. So if you start defining tools you'll be done in no time.

I dont need and want 500 tools to be loaded each time.

I only want that "collant on" is "active" for each tool by default, with possibility to turn it "off" or "thru"

hi

1.open template part-file.
2.right click on the "facemill" oper.
3.then > objects > start events
4.in the "available events" click "coolent on"
5.add to the "used events "
6.select OK to store your oper.
7.right click on the "facemill" oper
8.then > objects > customize
9.In the window "Item to Add" set filter to "Start Events"
10.Now you should be able to see the UDE "coolent on"
11.Just double click on it,or select it and click "Add to Dialog"
12.select OK to store your oper.
13.Now when you open your "facemill" oper ,you have a menu in your oper,so you can manage the coolent settings.

I agree with lklo. For what Primoz32 wants to accomplish, editing the operations in the template part files seem to be the simplest option. Also, backups of your template parts may be a good idea.

If you need help locating your template parts, the path name should look something like:

C:\Program Files\UGS\NX 7.5\MACH\resource\template_part\

nx7.5
CNC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back