Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone know, how we can lock a particular row or column from table in nx8.5 drafting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar005

Automotive
Sep 5, 2008
US
I want lock some rows & columns from my table in nx8.5.Can anyone suggest how we can do it in nx8.5.
There is one option lock rows but it is not working.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect that you're not really aware of what this option was designed to do.

When you 'lock' a row of a Parts List note, what this means is that if you delete the component for which this row was assigned that the row will NOT automatically be removed from the Parts List note but rather the 'row' will update based on the 'Deletion' rule as specified in the Parts List Style dialog. When 'locked', there are four options as to how to handle the contents of a row when its corresponding Component is deleted; 'Strike Thru' (self explanatory), 'Blanked' (the cells remain but their content are removed), 'Hidden' (the enter row is removed) and 'Ordinary' (nothing happens).

Now I'll admit that the 'bubble-help' that is displayed when you hover over the 'Lock/Unlock Rows' option in the MB3 pop-up menu, is poorly worded. After seeing this thread and after checking the help files I opened a PR requesting that the wording of the 'bubble-help' be revised to more accurately reflect what this function was designed to do.

For more information, please go to the NX Help file and search on 'lock row parts list' and you'll find a very detailed explanation of the 'Lock/Unlock Rows' feature.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thank you John.

Actually I am developing some standard tables like hole chart, BOM etc.I want to lock the content of header row & header column.Then I want to use these tables as standard library.So that no one can change anything in header.Only I want to give the user access to variable values only.

In order to do this in NX8.5, I am trying to lock some rows & columns from table.
Can anyone know , how can I do this.

Thanks for your help.

Amar

May I suggest that you try using the 'Protect' option on your Parts List cells, at least the ones, like the headers, that you wish to prevent anyone meddling with.

What you do is select the 'cell' of interest (you must do this an cell-by-cell basis, at least with respect to the 'header' cells) and when the shortcut toolbar comes up (on pre-NX 8.5 you'll need to press MB3) select the 'Style' option. Now select the 'Cell' tab and about half-way down the dialog, toggle ON the 'Protected' option and hit OK. Now whenever you select that cell in the future, the ONLY option that you will be given is the 'Style' option, even if you do press MB3, none of the 'edit' type options will even be in the list. Now the 'header' cell can still be edited, but only by selecting the entire column and then changing what the column is being used for, but you will not be allowed to perform any explicit edits to the contents of the 'header' cell itself. Also note that anyone can come in later and reselect the cell and select the 'Style' option and then toggle OFF the 'Protected' option, but at least you've made it more difficult for the average user to mess with the cell contents.

Anyway, give it try and see if this helps provide you at least a little more control over you Parts Lists.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back