Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I change BACKGROUND color in manufacturing's default -NX6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacific123

Aerospace
Mar 6, 2009
US
Hi,
When I use NX6's manufacturing module with the Master model assembly method, which is basically to open my part then, go NEW>MANUFACTURING>GENERAL to create my NC setup, I get a charcoal-color background which I don't like. I like the original light grey background that comes standard in NX modeling. Of course I am able to change the background color by going in the preferences but that requires me to do that EVERYTIME I open a part in manufacturing.

Is there a way to change the background color of the manufacturing module using the assembly method to light grey in the customer defaults? I cannot find anything specifically for that.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, what you need to do is open the original template files as is they were normal part files, edit their background and save the files.

In the case of the various CAM templates, they can be found at (wherever you installed NX 6.0)...

C:\...\<NX6>\MACH\resource\template_part\...

...where you will find two folders, one for English and one for Metric part file templates. In the case of the 'General Setup' template that file would be named 'mill_planar_assy.prt'. Just open the part file, and go to...

Preferences -> Background...

...and make the desired changes and save the template file (note that they files are installed as 'read only' so you will have to take care of that as well).

As an alternative, you could just copy those files you wish to edit to a folder of your choice, change the read-only status, open the file, make the changes and re-save without changing their names.

Then set the environment variable...

UGII_CAM_TEMPLATE_PART_ENGLISH_DIR=

or

UGII_CAM_TEMPLATE_PART_METRIC_DIR=

...to the path of the folder where you copied your modified templates part files to.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,

Thank you. I followed your instructions and everything worked perfectly. Would you know the name of the file I need to modify if I want to use the Die&Mold assembly manufacturing template as opposed to GENERAL?

Thanks again for your help.

while the actual template files are where I've already indicated, the .pax file which sets-up the File Open dialog content can be found at...

C:\...\<NX6>\UGII\templates\...

...and is named 'nxdm_ugs_manufacturing_templates.pax' and in this file you'll be able to find the actual names of all of the CAM templates files. Just open the file and look for the lines which start with...

<Filename>@DB/...

Just look for the file with that name in the appropriate units folder.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back